Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to other repair or replace my front end
suspension in my 1983 Honda goldwing GL1100 Aspedicade. The problem is when I try adding air with the built-in air pump all air immediately escapes out of the top of the left... Fork seal? It doesn't seem to want to screw back in and I'm not very mechanically savvy.

What are my best options? Money is kind of an issue but I can save up if that is what's necessary to get the suspension in the front to work correctly.

·
Administrator
26,967 Posts
Do you mean the seal where the fork lower and tube meet or the cap at the top? Either way if you are not capable of doing it yourself then you are going to either have to pay someone or get help from a friend. If you would tell us where you live you might have a friend close by you haven't met yet.

Reactions: SHTL0RD

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,762 Posts
Dave,
his IP suggests he has a static address, and is near Eloy, AZ.
that isn't a very big town, been there.
at the intersection of I-8 and I-10 a couple miles south of Casa Grande, AZ

I have a brother-in-law in Casa Grande, but he has not owned a bike since about 1975.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,762 Posts
I have done a good bit of business with D&D Discount Motorcycles, Mark who is the owner, is a good mechanic. he is located in Tempe, AZ. there are some good mechanics a lot closer than that though.

Looks like the closest shop is in Casa Grande.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,762 Posts
Desert Cycles in Casa Grande is the closest to him (520) 836-9484

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
suspension in my 1983 Honda goldwing GL1100 Aspedicade. The problem is when I try adding air with the built-in air pump all air immediately escapes out of the top of the left... Fork seal? It doesn't seem to want to screw back in and I'm not very mechanically savvy.

What are my best options? Money is kind of an issue but I can save up if that is what's necessary to get the suspension in the front to work correctly.
Does the bike ride rough ? If it does the air might not be all the problem. Have you checked to see about oil level in fork tubes? If not enough oil there the hydraulic system doesn't work properly. A small bolt at bottom lower leg will let you remove fork oil. Probably needs to be changed anyway Remove bolt and move front end up and down. Cover with rag to catch squirting oil. Replace bolt add oil. If your trying to replace tube cap. I used a carpenters pipe clamp and small piece of wood 1x4 to hold tube caps in place. Just enough pressure to hold in place and turn easily. Be careful not to cross thread the cap. Maybe this will give you a better look at what's there. Fork Seal Repacement • GL1100 DIY Articles • goldwingdocs.com

·
Administrator
26,967 Posts
Dave,
his IP suggests he has a static address, and is near Eloy, AZ.
that isn't a very big town, been there.
My IP address put me about 150 road miles from where I live.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,762 Posts
My IP address put me about 150 road miles from where I live.
Dave, you have to watch for how the IP address is stated, his is "static" and even that does not locate me, as I am on T-Mobile wireless.

anytime, I see a telco IP address, I toss it out with the dishwater.... mine shows up as Richardson, TX.

but, a cable company fed by fiber, is usually a nearby connection.
not good enough for street address, but usually good enough for the general locale....
he could be anywhere within about 10 miles of Eloy as that is on Century Link:

ISP: CenturyLink
Organization: CenturyLink
Services: None detected
Type: Broadband
Assignment: Likely Static IP

Safe to say though, he is in the southern end of Arizona.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
when I try adding air with the built-in air pump all air immediately escapes out of the top of the left... Fork seal?

It doesn't seem to want to screw back in and I'm not very mechanically savvy.

What are my best options?

Money is kind of an issue
Trying to sort through your question. If I remember correctly, the onboard system is for rear shock. Front had a tire valve setup that requires your own pump. Am I off on that?

The maximum pressure in the front is very low with a small volume, hence the hand pump to go easy and prevent blowing out a seal.

No idea what you are trying to screw back in but whatever it is, you are not fast enough to keep the air pressure in.

When you own a 40 year old bike you need to able to do common maintenance and IMHO that includes rebuilding fork seals. Simple job with a manual, online help and online videos. Original Honda parts are cheap.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,762 Posts
I had an 84 and 86, I replaced the top air fills with a regular tire pressure valve....
I had one of those little digital hand tire pumps, and about 2.5 psi was all it wanted.
more than that, and the forks got really hard.

Had to be really fast, removing the tire pump from the Shrader valve, or you lost half of that 2.5 psi quick.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have done a good bit of business with D&D Discount Motorcycles, Mark who is the owner, is a good mechanic. he is located in Tempe, AZ. there are some good mechanics a lot closer than that though.

Looks like the closest shop is in Casa Grande.

Awesome! Thank you!!!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,762 Posts
SHTL0RD

you need to tell us where you are located, it would really help us, try to help you.....

·
Registered
2,075 Posts

Can you get a picture of where it’s coming out

·
Registered
17 Posts
Trying to sort through your question. If I remember correctly, the onboard system is for rear shock. Front had a tire valve setup that requires your own pump. Am I off on that?

The maximum pressure in the front is very low with a small volume, hence the hand pump to go easy and prevent blowing out a seal.

No idea what you are trying to screw back in but whatever it is, you are not fast enough to keep the air pressure in.

When you own a 40 year old bike you need to able to do common maintenance and IMHO that includes rebuilding fork seals. Simple job with a manual, online help and online videos. Original Honda parts are cheap.
Sorry Andy............ Your memory is fading. Only reason I know is I bought a 1983 Aspencade 3 years ago. Ride a little, Wrench allot. As for the compressor and the front forks, if it is indeed a leak in the forks I'll leave the answer to others in the group.

However, there is a possibility that the air isn't even getting to the Front Forks from the compressor, and the sudden loss of air may be just what's in the air line to the front forks.

How would I know this??? I have the opposite problem. Using the onboard compressor to pump my rear shocks up to Maximum, I was still bottoming out while riding, and scraping the floor boards on even mild turns. The gauge never moved unless it was sitting for three days.

I bought a pair of Progressive shocks for the bike, 1/2" taller than stock ( I'm no longer the Lean, Mean, Fighting Marine, I was when I had my last Wing ). When I disconnected the air lines to connect to the Progressives, I glanced at the gauge and it was still Maxed Out. Obviously I have Plugged/Collapsed Air Lines on the bike. To get through the last riding season, I just used the Stock Air Manifold with Shrader Valve off a 1983 Interstate Parts Bike I have to get by.

I'll get around to replacing the old air lines this Winter.

He might unscrew the air line from the front forks, zip tie a balloon over the end, and see if the compressor is actually getting air to the shocks..

The bright side to all of this is. You can still work on the old stuff! :)

Alan

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had an issue with air leaking out of the equalizer tube at the top between the forks. The original o-rings were really thin and must have dried enough to allow all the air to leak out almost instantly. I replaced with some super thick o-rings my neighbor had and it holds well. Be careful, that equalizer tube is super soft thin bendy metal. GL1200i.

Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
To the OP, what has become of this issue?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts