Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My 650 Night Hawk idles good butt when I give it gass it just bogg down .I pulled the carbs and they look new inside.I looked in the gass tank and it is full of rust.The thing is I just cleaned it out last spring in 2008,spent three day cleaniog it with steel ball bearing,it was like new inside and I have kept it full ever since.How cane it be full of rust agan.I thought if you kept the tank full of gassit could not rust.What can I do to stop the rust?

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

Bad news, whatever method you used to clean your tank before sucked and you'll have to do it again before coating it.

Good news is you have a gastank that's really easy to remove off the bike, so take it off and try this if you're feeling up to it...

A really goodway to clean it again is use muriatic acid with about 20 1/4inch nuts. Before you use this method, get a piece of wood (like an ice cream bar) and push the seams and all over the tank to make sure the metal is not soft. If it's a solid tank, then count the nutsbefore you put them in. Don't get any acid in your eyes or skin, this stuff is LETHAL, and definitely DON"T breathe it. Also before you pour in the acid, make sure you don't get any acid on the paint and take off the petcock and and float and rig up a way to close off those openings so you don't damage it. Muriatic acid is very strong so use your best judgement about what it mightdamage on your tank.

Pour in 1/2 gallon with the nuts and slosh it and the nuts around for about 15 minutes and dump it on some gravel or a piece of old concrete you don't care about(it'll stain concrete yellow). Then use the remaining 1/2 gallon and slosh it around for about 10 minutes. Then dump it and use a garden hose and pour water in (yes water). And rinse all the muriatic acid out. Don't dilly-dally on keeping the tank empty because the fresh steel will flashrust in a few seconds if you let it. Then once you're done rinsing, use a high phosphoric acid cleaner(tile cleaner has usually high phosphoricconcentrate) and pour that in the tank and slosh it around so it coats all the fresh steel (it neutralizes the muriatic remnants). Then use an air hose and chase out any liquid and then position your woman's haridryer(yeah hairdryer) into the gastank lid and dry out the phosphate remnants.

That's it. I don't even coat my tanks with anything afterI do this. But if you really want to be anal about cleaning the tank, you can use POR15 or KREEM to coat the clean steel.

Good luck.:waving:

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
imported post

In addition to the above comments, I belive this tank hasan internal screen filter that will require replacment and is what's causeingyour motor tohesitate.You will most likely find that it is plugged with rust particles and restricting gas flow.

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

I pulled my tank today and cleaned it and have good gass flow now butt still have the same problem,I guess its time to pull the carbs and clean them and see if that helps it.cant find any thing else wrong with it.Thanks for all your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.