Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all, first post, but a lurker no more. Working on a pair of 83's and have parted out over the years a couple more and so have some parts. For those who know, I have two different front master cylinders and they are marked 5/8 and 14 on the bottom Both use the plastic resovor w/two screws. If I remember right one is 83, and the other is Late 82, but not sure which one is which. Any help is welcome and what rebuild parts have you had good luck with. Jerry

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

well 83 had linked brakes.. as the 82 still had single brake lines for front and back. I would guess the 1/4 is for 82. I have 82 but I have fitted my bike with a gl1200 master cylinder and it has 1/2 stamped on it.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

I can check tomorrow for you as I have the old master at home.. Ill let you know whats stamped on it

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

My 83 says 14 on the bottom.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Not really different but you can be little easier on the brakes as it was design to control both front and back. But truth be told, I didnt notice much difference. I got 1200 mc because I got sick of the fluid holder leaking on my paint. With 1200 no plastic, all on piece besides the lid. Works great. All metal!

·
Administrator
26,564 Posts
imported post

The smaller of the 2 (14mm) is for the 83 since it only works 1 caliper, the 82 works both front calipers so it needs to be a bit larger (5/8" - 16mm).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.