Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I finally got everything all cleaned up, and am ready to start reassembling the driveshaft/final drive gearcase. I am replacing the oil seal where the driveshaft goes into the gearcase, and did not take anything else apart. There is a spring which fits into a recess in the end of the driveshaft that goes into the gearcase. This spring is very short. The pictures in the manual and on the online parts places show it as a much longer spring. Am I missing something here? Are there any other little parts that go between the driveshaft and gearcase I might have lost? I haven't looked for anything, because the diagrams don't show any other parts. Mainly wondering about that spring. Are you supposed to try and install the driveshaft into the gearcase with the spring in the end of it (falls out easily) or does it go into the gearcase first, then the driveshaft?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'm not positive, the memory ain't what it used to be, but I believe the spring isn't necessary, that it's there to facilitate the assembly of the bike in the factory. Someone should chime in that might have a better reference to the subject than I do. You might try to search the forum archives because I know it's been discussed before.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Drawings can be misleading:shock: but the spring you have is the correct one and the only way to get it in place is to have it in the drive shaft as you install the final drive.

Of course you could pretend you have an 84 and leave the spring on your bench.:ROFL::ROFL:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I suppose I could glue it in place, but are you saying it isn't necessary. The manual refers to something called a "stopper" ring that does not need to be put back, but does not mention the spring. The spring on the U joint end of the shaft is held in place by a circlip, and I never had it off.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

The preferred glue for holding the spring in place would be good old grease.
I'm not sure what the purpose of the spring is but there are still thousands of 84s on the road using the same shaft and final drive minus the spring.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

I just slid mine in with the spring and everything. Had to get some help while I pulled bellows back and held u joint up but it went in. When you put it back in leave the nuts loose until you have installed axle assembly and wheel and after you have tightened pinch bolt. Then tighten the nuts on the rear end assembly. I was told if you tighten the rear end first you could cause serious damage to rear end. So I did the wheel..hooked up shocks Tightened axle nut,,did pinch bolt the did the final drive nuts.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks Jay. This is the spring that goes between the driveshaft and final drive assembly. Nothing to hold it in place (grease should work) I still don't understand what it's purpose is, but it was in there. The spring on the end that goes into the U joint is held in place with a clip. I pulled the rubber boot back, and disconnected the U joint from the engine output shaft so I could get to the splines. They are perfect. And there is a LOT more room in there than there is on my Vulcan 750. I don't think I'll have much trouble getting it back together.

I had not heard about leaving the final drive bolts loose until the wheel was installed, but I will do it that way. I have everything ready to go, I am still waiting on a couple of 0-rings and an oil seal to come in. Jerry.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
imported post

I just had mine apart and had no problem with that spring. But, of course, that means I paid no attention to how it was installed. I have a pic that shows, I think, a circlip.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

Mine's been apart a few times, splines all perfect and I always put all springs back. The springs both (both ends of shaft) keep the drive shaft under some tension and the front U-joint pushed firmly up against the inner race of the bearing at the output shaft where it exits motor/trans.

Looking at the spring at the rear, it would be easier to assemble without it in place, but then the drive shaft is a "loose fit" at that end and allowed to maybe sliderearward just far enough to allow front spring to become slack letting U-joint slip back on the front splines and wear them.

Absolutely .... any time you loosen the 4 bolts holdingfinal drive to swingarm ..... make sure you just finger tighten until after rear wheel, axle, etc is all in place, and after axle nut is drawn up (69 ft lbs I think, check me on that) and the pinch bolt is tight and then tighten those 4 bolts to their torque value last.

As you'll notice when inserting the final drive into swing arm, it can be rotated a few degrees. You do NOT want top restrict this movement until you have the axle in place and tight so that it is in perfect alignment with center of hole over on far side of swing arm.

Upon reassembly, tightening and torqing certainbolts is done in a specific order. Until all are inserted, all are simply installed loosely or finger tight.

I then justtighten them in the same order that I will later torque them in, but not to final torque until I have snugged all well.

The first bolt to be tightened is always Axle Nut on end of axle exiting final drive.

Second is Axle Pinch Bolt in left side swing arm.

Then you can tighten the 4 final drive-swing arm nuts.

Then you can tighten brake caliper bolts, shock bolts, etc as you wish.

Then I get my 3/8" drive torque wrench and repeat bringing them to final torque in the same order.

The first bolt to be torqued is always Axle Nut on end of axle exiting final drive.

Second to be torquedis Axle Pinch Bolt in left side swing arm.

Then you can torque the 4 final drive-swing arm nuts.

Then you can torque big n littlebrake caliper bolts, shock bolts, etc as you wish.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Dennis, there IS a circlip and washer that holds the spring on the U joint end, but there is nothing on the other end, where the oil seal goes. There is a round wire clip in a groove in the splines, but it is supposedly just there to hold the shaft in place during manufacturing, and is not needed for anything else. The spring on the final drive is a little short spring that goes into a recess in the end of the shaft, but there is nothing to hold it in place until the shaft is in place in the final drive. Once all of the oil is drained out of the final drive, I may be able to hold the driveshaft vertically, with that spring pointing up, then slip the final drive unit down over it.

CrystalPistol, thanks for all that information. I printed it and will use it when reassembling the rear end.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

You are very Welcome Sir! :waving:

I could have included torque values but the book is way downstairs in the basement.

Grease will hold light springs in place and the circlip you speak of in a groove in the female splines is a spring and will hold the shaft in place once inserted in the final drive.

I also forgot .... my socket for the big axle nut is 1/2" drive and I use a beam type 1/2" T-wrench there as it fits the space easier than my 1/2" clicker T-wrench.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.