Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have only had my GL1800 for about 2 months. I noticed that sitting at a light even in cool temperatures (about 60F) that the fan will come on if i site for about 2 minutes.

First is this normal?

Second if it is normal will it be a problem on 100F days?

Thanks in advance.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Yes the fans will kick on even at 40 deg ambient temp if left to idle long enough.

Have you opened the radiator cap and made sure that is full as well as the overflow?(do it while you have a cold motor) Low antifreeze will cause the temp sender to read wrong.
If it is low on antifreeze(in the radiator) add until a couple inches lower than the cap, start the motor and warm up until the fans kick on twice(this burps the air out), top it off, shut off the motor and cap the radiator. Then make sure the overflow tank is at the proper level.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
BTW.... This type of question should be in the tech section
A moderator will probably move it.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
It's normal fr the cooling fans to cycle regularly, though they won't do it above a certain speed (as it knows there is sufficient airflow coming from the movement thru the air). You will notice the fan actually blows the air out of the front (opposite the direction air will flow when moving forward). This too is normal. 100 degree days? Good luck trying to get tht needle above the half way mark ;-)

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
my 2001 fans com on also ..but at a little higher temps than you report ...the temp needle always stays at midway which seem to be the norm
check all your fluids for a few days ..most likely it's normal

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the answers, Since I am in Texas and our summers are brutal I didnt want there to be an issue. This is also my daily commuter.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
So....have you checked the antifreeze level yet?
A response from you Whinikki?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No actually I only this morning had time to check the answers from yesterday and on top of that I am apparently getting a new tire today so it is being towed to a friends house and i have not been able to check it.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
Yes the fans come on on all of them up to at least the 2010 models. I'm not sure if the 2012/13 behaves differently.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
On a 100 deg day, going up Pikes peak at 10mph yeah it will over heat. Otherwise find something else to worry about.

The GL1800 fans run backwards to what you would think. They push the air out the front. This was to keep it from blowing hot air back toward the rider as the 1500 did and many complained about it. In 2nd gear or above 19 mph the fans won't work at all relying on the forward speed to push air over the radiators. So in stop an go traffic at 100+ deg it may warm up on you if you idle it and try to run 10 mph or so. If you pull over the fans will run and cool it back down. If that ever happens just shift into 2nd gear. It will not let the fans run. It may still warm up but it will take a lot longer. If you have a tail wind you may just have to pull over.

I've ridden in plenty of 105 to 107 deg days with no overheating problems or even remember seeing the temp gauge go up to half way. Just remember that all GL1800's have that "Parade Mode" overheating issue where you run for a long time at 10 to 15 mph in 1st gear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.