Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

As I have posted on here a few other times, I am disabling the air injection system on my 1200LTD to stop a very annoying noise in the reed valve box. So far I have managed to plug the air injection lines to the 2 rear cylinders without any major dissassembly. Noise is still there, but not as noticable. Today I removed the left fairing lower, and discovered I may not be able to get to the front lines without major dissassembly. If I can't plug up the lines from the box to the head, I was thinking about plugging up the air supply TO the reed valve box. If I remember correctly, when I had the air filter assembly and plenum cover off, there were holes in the bottom of the plenum chamber. Is this where the reed valve box gets it's air from? If so I should be able to plug these holes and stop the air flow from there. Also, can anyone point me to any threads about disabling this system? It seems to be the same basic system whether FI or carbs. Thanks, Jerry.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

AFAIK those holes are for use on carbed models where the emission pipes go to each head, under the manifolds.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yeah, the fuel injected models have the same setup. The parts may be a little different, but it works the same. There is a rectangular cast aluminum box above the engine, and below the air filter. It has a thin plastic top on it, and the air filter box sits right on top of it. Underneath this rectangular box, which is where the carbs/injectors get their air from, is another box, but smaller. It is in an almost inaccessible place, between the rectangular air box, and the top of the engine, and is attached to the bottom of the air box with screws. This smaller box draws air from holes in the bottom of the air box, there is a reed valve in the small box which opens and closes by intake vacuum, and sends air to two small round holes in each cylinder head, one for each cylinder, by a combination of rubber hoses and metal pipes. I have cut all 4 short hoses, and removed them from the metal pipes, as well as removed the other piece of the hoses from the reed valve box. I plugged all openings with 3/8" vacuum caps. This has almost completely eliminated most of the squeaking noise, but a tiny bit remains. The air passing through the holes into the bottom of the air box mist still be causing some movement of the reed valve. Ideally I would like to remove the reed valve box completely, but doing so would mean removing the entire intake system, a job I am not able to do right now. So My plan is to remove the air filter housing, which will give me access to the rectangular aluminum air box, and I will plug the holes in the bottom with something like silicone. That should completely cut off air to the reed valve assembly, and stop that awful noise. Anyone know why this won't work? Sorry for the long post, I tried to describe everything in enough detail so that everyone would understand what it was I am talking about, and unfortunately I am not so good with words.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.