Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im in the middle of replacing my trees/stem/bearing, cause they were bent. My buddy was over and caught sight of the front wheel covers for my 93gl1500 on the floor (the big shiny plasticy ones that cover the front wheel/calipers). He said those are so ugly, and i should try running the bike without them, like alot of more modern cruisers do.

O don;t think they are too ugly, but has anyone done this? Any pics? Any functional or protection issues I should worry about?

Thanks!

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
How did it look to you when you had the covers off? Did you like the look? That's really all that matters.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I've seen them done that way and look pretty good, looks more business like. Of course, things stay cleaner then.
Also show off those new custom drilled or cut brake rotors?

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
As long as she doesn't weigh more than you do and won't scare a buzzard of a meat wagon, I say go for it.....oh wait, you're not talkin about the ladies.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I run without the covers myself. I like the looks better. To each his own. Try it, you might like it. No problems without the covers.

·
Administrator
27,900 Posts
I would think the brakes would run cooler without them.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I was doing work on the front end that required their removal.I left them off and that was two years ago.I found that I prefer the looks of the bike with the covers removed-but to each his own.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
As long as she doesn't weigh more than you do and won't scare a buzzard of a meat wagon, I say go for it.....oh wait, you're not talkin about the ladies.

LOL..... Funny....

But seriously about the covers. If you don't like covers, get a chopper. The GW1500 definately looks better with the covers and even more so with the new style covers. Without them something is missing and most people will just look at your bike, like I will, and think; Lazy owner...

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
On earlier models the brake covers were an aftermarket thing. Rotors were exposed.
How early was that for the 1500? I did not know they were ever delivered without the covers...

This **** forum, not once can I go on her without learning something...:X

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
To each his own. I don't like the looks of the 1500 front wheel with the covers off because of the huge hub and short spokes. Also the little chrome trim on the rear half of the fender looks odd without the cover to mate up with it. But that's just me. Some like them off

·
Pwhoever
3,338 Posts
Now I am kind of partial to no covers especially after I powdercoated my wheels. I think it looks great.... That rear chrome piece can just be removed.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,631 Posts
Mike,

That right there is a good reason to have the front wheel powder coated.
Nice clean look to it.

Gives you the best of both worlds, go with the cover, or w/o the cover.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Sorry I meant models earlier than the 1500.
The 1500 is the only wing that came with rotor covers stock. The 1800 went back to not being sold with rotor covers.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
After I spent approx 40 hours polishing my front rims ......I wanted to be able to see them, the covers never went back on. :waving:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.