Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

so yesterday my bike was starting fine, i took off my false tank. and everything stopped working, nothing happened when i turned key in the ignition. i figure when i was putting the tank back on i bumped something, well my relay is sitting right there.

so i started playing with my relay, when i connect the hot wire(30) with the wire going to the ignition(87) everything lights up like it should (even if the ignition is not turned on) i can start thebike up doing this.

so i thought maybe my relay was broken so i went and bought a new one hooked up all up and everything and same deal. so i had this same problem 2 years ago and i have a few ignition switches sitting around, so changed this out (put on a brand new in the box switch) didnt make a difference. However i cheated againand touched the 30 to the 87, and i let the bike run doing this i then removed the piece of metal i was connecting them with and the bike continued to run however it would not start like this.

does anyone have any suggestions? i really cannot figure this out?

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

Check all grounds for solid contact.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Sounds like something in your starter switch broke loose? Try jumping the wires at the switch end and see if she turns over..or the connections between the starter switch and the ignition switch.

·
Administrator
26,535 Posts
imported post

An 1100 did not come with that relay so it has been added on.
You need to check for power to either 85 or 86 on the relay and ground to the other. There may have been an inline fuse added to the wiring somewhere to the relay.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

In this year of bike a relay is usually added to run an accesory ie: driving lights or fan thermo switch. As per above post, there can be two fuses one main one ( usually 30 amp) going from battery to relay & then another one ( smaller amps )going to the switch the relay is protecting.

I doubt the relay would be your problem as these years never had one in the ignition system.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

i added on this relay 2 year ago, basically the is one wire going straight to the battery, one going to the ground, and then there is a black wire coming off of the ignition that i cut and then connected the other 2 wires coming off of the relay to.

basically nothings changed from what i can tell, ive been playing with my voltmeter checking to make sure power was getting to the relay and that it was grounded. the ground is good, the hot wire is good, but nothing gets past the relay to the ignition.

i can "hot wire" the bike by what it seems to me is completely bypassing the relay and the ignition.

So im completely stumped, however this morning i atttempted to wire the bike like it was originally, as if there had never been a relay by reconnection the black wire, and that didnt work. so that kind of makes me think i may need a new ignition switch. which was really convenient because i had a brand new one i bought last year when i thought i needed one, so i hooked the new one up (aftermarket), and that doesnt help the problem either...

·
Administrator
26,535 Posts
imported post

So did you check the main fuse on the starter solenoid. Since you wired the relay to the battery it could have power on the main hot wire and still nothing going to the ignition switch.

·
Administrator
26,535 Posts
imported post

The starter relay may be fine but the dog bone fuse on it may be blown. Somewhere you are not getting power to the ignition switch and that is where to start looking.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

yes dave your right, getting the cover off of the dogbone was being stubborn the other day so i thought if i just checked the relay with the voltmeter that would get me the answer i was looking for.. In any case yes the dogbone was blown, i replaced it with a mini fuse holder. and now the bike starts just fine when i return the ignition switch to its original wiring. however not with the relay, and i would really like to go thru the relay because a couple of summers ago my ignition swithces kepts going out on me w/o it. so im going to keep working on it, anymore ideas let me know.

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Your statement "i added on this relay 2 year ago, basically the is one wire going straight to the battery, one going to the ground, and then there is a black wire coming off of the ignition that i cut and then connected the other 2 wires coming off of the relay to."

I can't figure out why you have the relay. Only one wire is switchable on the relay. You have two going to ignition, that's whats shorting your main fuse. A relay should never be put into a circuit unless it has its own fuse.

Ignition switches do wear out but ( at least on my GL1000 ) they periodically have a habit of the plastic base lossening off and then the ignition looses contact, bike dies etc. My fix was to wire the plastic base to the metal top. Solves problem completely.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

i might have misphrased the wiring or this relay. one wire is going to the battery, one to the ground, one to the ignition, and one goes to the fuse box (i believe)

the problem (2 years ago) if i remember correctly came in when i wired in a radio, at this time i blew an ignition switch, and then i believe i blew another one shortly after. at which time the reccomendation i received was to hook up a relay because the because the ignition switch couldnt handle the load going thru it to the radio.. (there is another slot on the relay that goes straight to the radio, i just dont have it hooked up right now)

let me see if i can dig up the old thread i had on this issue.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

There are a few diagrams on this site on how to wire a relay or you can do a search on the web. I won't repeat as the descriptions are more than adequate.

Look for posts under thermo switch or driving lights.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

i think im actually going to go with what you said previous, im just going to disconnect the relay and run it as it was originally wired. The bike was pretty new to me and Maybe i was just doing something wrong 2 years ago when i was having the problem with the ignition

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.