Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Am planning on buying either a Super Tech filter from Walmart for my 1800 or one from NAPA. The recommendations for part numbers here on the forum always include one part number and another for "short." What does that mean?

A curious mind wants to know.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

There are two filters with different can heights. One is about 3/4" taller than the other. Both fit and work well.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

2Up, that brings up an interesting question: if both work well, what is the point of having a long vs. short version? Am confused. But, then again, am old and ge confused easily.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

They are for two different applications for automobiles. For instance, the long one may be for a Honda Pilot SUV and the short one for a Honda Civic. Either will work on our wings.

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

When I worked for Gm in the early 80's I was told that a short filter was a light duty where a long one was for filtering more volume with more surface area of filter media.

The key is to be regular with your oil changes & not exceed the mileage that your filter can handle. Your oil might be rated for a billion miles with no break down because it's the best on the market, but your oil filter isnt made to the same standards makeing it "The weakest link"!

·
Administrator
26,358 Posts
imported post

2up wrote:
They are for two different applications for automobiles. For instance, the long one may be for a Honda Pilot SUV and the short one for a Honda Civic. Either will work on our wings.
All Honda cars now use the same filter, the longer one. The short one was for the Insight, that little hybrid car. I was using the regular Honda car filter on my 1800 but had to move the left horn a little to make it work and it's a little hard to get a wrench on to get it off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.