Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

While I was taking my alternator out to replace the brushes today I broke wat appears to be a resistor mounted to the outside of the alternator and also has a lead to the terminal side of the alternator. :(

I looked up some online microfiche for the part and cannot see it. Does anyone know what it is and whatpurpose it serves? :stumped:

Thanks, Mark

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

It's a capacitor, should be available at any alternator shop or parts store. Same thing as the condenser on a points ignition.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

It's a noise suppressor for the CB radio. There is another one on top of the fuel pump, under the saddle.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

A capacitor for noise suppression mainly for the CB. Has nothing to do with the operation of the alternator, and you may not notice any audible difference. Take your time in finding a replacement.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the replies. Do you know if the capacitor is available through Honda?

Thanks, Mark

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
imported post

It came stock with the SE series that had the CB radio installed at the factory. Should be on the microfisch in the 'alternator' area.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks again for the quick responses. I will check with the dealer Monday.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

just had my alternator tepaired after 158000km. broken.i asked the repair guys about the resistor and they said that it was eally needed and i could put one on or not hasn,t made any difference in the radio noise or the IPod working noise

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.