Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the trike I just bought (Gl1500a) has air deflectors mounted on it. They attach by the fairing pockets and are about 6 or 8 inches square. (I think, haven't measured them) Anyways, one is broken. Should I try to find a replacement plastic? Just remove them? Upgrade to a taller version? What are people's opinions about them? Having never before owned a bike with any actual wind protection, I'm not sure what to do. On my KLR, wind is just a part of the ride.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Magic Moderator
4,333 Posts
I had wind deflectors on my Wing trike and they were removed as I didn't like them. I thought the ruined the look. But that's just me. With the large windshield on a Wing, you've got plenty of wind protection JMHO.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have paid more attention when I drove it home. It would have been the perfect time to decide if I liked them or not, functionally speaking. However, I had way too many other things I was focusing on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use the side wind deflectors a lot....

in the summer, I turn them to bring in air towards my chest.
in the winter, I turn them so that no air hits my chest.

they are worth every cent.
So which ones do you have? I've found several different versions out there.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
There are several manufacturers of the wind wings. So, finding an exact replacement may be tough since the accessories are drying up. The last model was made almost 19 years ago.

But, you can look on Ebay and probably find some.

I like the ones I have on my GL1500. Brings air into the cockpit when it is hot out and keeps air off of my legs when it is cold.

Take a look at these from CycleMax of Ohio https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_wind_wings/214

Attachments

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I use the side wind deflectors a lot....

in the summer, I turn them to bring in air towards my chest.
in the winter, I turn them so that no air hits my chest.

they are worth every cent.
I agree, once you get used to having them looks do not matter.

Rayjoe

·
Registered
707 Posts
I put the Baker Built Air Wings on my GL1200 because I was getting a lot of heat on my legs from the engine. I can turn 'em so the air flows toward me when it's hot or on cool evenings I can turn 'em out and get a little extra warmth with the wind deflected away from me.

I love 'em. Should have sprung for the set years earlier.

·
Premium Member
3,274 Posts
I am in the camp that loves them also. In addition to keeping the cold air off you in cold weather, they help keep the rain off when riding in bad weather also.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
You could make a replacement panel..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it seems that the general consensus is that, if you don't mind the looks, they are good. So, I will probably get some new ones once I get the rest of the work on this trike finished.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
So it seems that the general consensus is that, if you don't mind the looks, they are good. So, I will probably get some new ones once I get the rest of the work on this trike finished.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
It really a personal preference. Here in the south east, it gets pretty muggy. Any extra air movement is welcome.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have had Baker Air Wings on my 80 1100 Wing, 92 1500 and put them on the 07 1800 shortly after getting it. Now went back to a 99 1500, Air Wings are going on this winter for sure. Got REALLY spoiled with them on the 92.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
I had them on my 30 yo 1200 when I got it . These 1200's generate a lot of engine heat when the fan turns on.

Wind Wings make a tremendous difference on hot summer days.
But....
When these deflectors eventually loosened up. I did a rough calculation, before re-seating the fastening points on the fairing with t-bolts , imbedded in 2 layers of epoxy.( on the inside ). The fairing had cracked and broken around the fastening bolts .

At 100 MPH. the breakaway force is quite considerable ( 50+ lbs on each bolt )

So if you are installing them on an older Wing , carefully check the integrity of the fairing fastening points .

SilverDave

·
Registered
707 Posts
I had them on my 30 yo 1200 when I got it . These 1200's generate a lot of engine heat when the fan turns on.

Wind Wings make a tremendous difference on hot summer days.
But....
When these deflectors eventually loosened up. I did a rough calculation, before re-seating the fastening points on the fairing with t-bolts , imbedded in 2 layers of epoxy.( on the inside ). The fairing had cracked and broken around the fastening bolts .

At 100 MPH. the breakaway force is quite considerable ( 50+ lbs on each bolt )

So if you are installing them on an older Wing , carefully check the integrity of the fairing fastening points .

SilverDave
^^^This is an important point.^^^
When I put mine on I knew there was gonna be some wind force pushing on 'em so I used ginormous fender washers on top of equally ginormous rubber fender washers behind the fairing to spread the load out as much as possible.
I had to do some repair and reconstruction back there anyway since my poor old bike was brittle and falling apart in places.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
AaronsDad said:
<< had to do some repair and reconstruction back there anyway since my poor old bike was brittle and falling apart in places.>>

Yes, mine too.
Sorta like the owner .. Brittle, falling apart in places .... LOL

but , for an older 1200, JB Weld is your friend .

Apparently it doesn't help for the human component !

SilverDave

·
Registered
707 Posts
AaronsDad said:
<< had to do some repair and reconstruction back there anyway since my poor old bike was brittle and falling apart in places.>>

Yes, mine too.
Sorta like the owner .. Brittle, falling apart in places .... LOL

but, for an older 1200, JB Weld is your friend .

Apparently it doesn't help for the human component !

SilverDave
I used bondo and reinforced it with some fiberglass window screen. Seemed to work pretty well.

I had to do some structural rebuilding around the left pocket and on the side where the wing attached. It was a mess.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've used Baker Built wings for 30 years. Have them on all 3 bikes. Love em.

Different manufacturers have different sizes and also different thicknesses. Just whatever your preference is. "Air Wings" are the thickest I've found if you're worried about wind movement, also more expensive. Just bought a new set of Bakers for my mirrors at Wing Ding. Haven't installed yet though.

I also had some cool etching done to them to add some flair. The etchings have also lasted 30+ years.

·
Premium Member
3,274 Posts
I've used Baker Built wings for 30 years. Have them on all 3 bikes. Love em.

Different manufacturers have different sizes and also different thicknesses. Just whatever your preference is. "Air Wings" are the thickest I've found if you're worried about wind movement, also more expensive. Just bought a new set of Bakers for my mirrors at Wing Ding. Haven't installed yet though.

I also had some cool etching done to them to add some flair. The etchings have also lasted 30+ years.

This is a pic of the wings on my former GL1200 LTD. I had the guy put an etching of an eagle on them when I got them. These were on there over 20 years when this picture was made.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts