Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
I use the side wind deflectors a lot....

in the summer, I turn them to bring in air towards my chest.
in the winter, I turn them so that no air hits my chest.

they are worth every cent.
I agree.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
There are several manufacturers of the wind wings. So, finding an exact replacement may be tough since the accessories are drying up. The last model was made almost 19 years ago.

But, you can look on Ebay and probably find some.

I like the ones I have on my GL1500. Brings air into the cockpit when it is hot out and keeps air off of my legs when it is cold.

Take a look at these from CycleMax of Ohio https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_wind_wings/214
Those look like the ones I used. But I did have to grind down the ends of the metal mounts (long time ago - don't remember why). I touched up the ground ends with silver paint. They work great and I'd be a lot less comfortable without them.

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
So the trike I just bought (Gl1500a) has air deflectors mounted on it. They attach by the fairing pockets and are about 6 or 8 inches square. (I think, haven't measured them) Anyways, one is broken. Should I try to find a replacement plastic? Just remove them? Upgrade to a taller version? What are people's opinions about them? Having never before owned a bike with any actual wind protection, I'm not sure what to do. On my KLR, wind is just a part of the ride.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Are they in flat planes, or are they made as an arc?

I've remade the ones on my '85 1200 a few times after my boot hit / cracked one in cold weather. Easy to make from tinted plexiglass, I get it at glass shop in 1/8" plates. Use band saw to cut or scribe & snap … propane heats to bend. .

The 1500 trike has them too, made of like 3/16 red tint plexiglass with a gentle curve. Luckily never broke one, …. yet.

I like them in hot or cold weather.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I think they are flat, not curved. I can't recall exactly, they are sitting in a pile with all the other bodywork due to the work I've been doing to it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

21 - 25 of 25 Posts