Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My gl 1200 was garaged for a while. It was running great until today. Today i noticed it was sputtering a little when going slow in first gear. I couldnt quite tell if it was coming from the exhaust or not, but i believe it was. It was just like the bike was putting every once in a while....though i would not call it a backfire, what should i do, and do you guys have any idea of the cost of such measures?

Thanks,

anthony

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

You could have a little water in the tank. There are gas additives toremove water from the fuel but I don't know what it's called. An auto parts store would probably have some. I would probably just drain the tank and put fresh fuel in with a couple ounces of Seafoam or MMO. Run it for a while and see how it does. Might take a few miles or even a couple of tanks to clear up.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Mine was doing the same thing. It was stored too. It only had about 1,000 miles put on it in the two years prior to me getting it. When I picked it up the smell of the gas that was in the tank almost made me puke. I drained it and added fresh gas. It still sputtered and coughed. I asked on here and was advised to run MMO through it. I ran 3 straight tanks with MMO and it seemed to help guite a bit. I also changed plugs. I still thought it could be better so I read on here about Seafoam. I went and got some and I am now on my second tank with Seafoam. Seems to be running a lot better now. I will be installing a new fuel filter this weekend just incase it has washed any gummies (not bears) out of the tank.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Could be moisture, but sounds more like old gas... If it's running, and you don't have the time to drain the tank, just add Sea Foam and a capful of MMO.. Keep driving and adding. Eventually the problem should clear itself out...

The other side of the coin is varnish build up in the carbs.. that will require a carb pull & clean... which requires a re-balancing and set up... LAST RESORT...

In the mean time, change the gas filter, inspect all the fuel and vacuum hoses, replace the air filter anddrain the little black plastic bottle under the battery. One 10mm bolt and a hose,,, pull it out, tip it upside down and pour out the moisture.

Pull the plugs. Inspect, clean and gap... If worn,, replace them.. They're cheap...

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yeah i have replaced the plugs before this problem and added gas to the old garbage that was in there. I should have just drained it. It was only garaged for like 6 months.

BUT, i did notice some specks of rust in the tank...and a lot of rust on the upper border of the tank, you know, where gas just touches but doesnt actually reach.

I have been driving it fora while and it was fine. hjowever, i have not changed the fuel filter or ail filter on it yet. BUt i pulled the air filter and it said in marker "checked 1995"!!!!!!! i ccouldnt believe it.

How much are we talking to get the carbs takin care of roughly in your past experience?

Thanks y'all:cooldj:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

I would drain that gas and run a meduim amount of "Sea Foam" through a couple of tanks! after you drain it see just how bad the rust is, if it's flakes or just discoloration? Change filter!

"Heat" is the name of the additive that takes water out of your system?!

Carbs can cost btween $200 and $500 to do depending on your mechanic and condition of the carbs ! Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.