Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Postpubescent member
35,721 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
Also, one other thing, I noticed that me handlebars don't appear to be straight. the left one seems further back (towards me) than the right one. My left arm is nicely bent and feels comfortable while riding straight but my right arm feels a little outstretched and is a little uncomfortable. (maybe my arms are different lengths) Is there a way to "straighten" the bars so that they are positioned the same?
If you put your bike on the center stand and stretch a string or use a straight edge to make sure the front tire is parallel to the rear your can check the handlebar. Once you have the wheels lined up mark a point on the top rear of the bike such as the top of the trunk or the rear of the seat on the centerline of the bike. Measure from that point to the end of each grip, if the handlebar is straight and unbent the measurement should be the same. I found my SEI to be off a bit, but on the LTD and SEI the bars are two separate pieces bolted to the tree and are adjustable. On your bike if they are off they are either bent or there's a misalignment in the tree/fork tubes.

· Postpubescent member
35,721 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
Ok, my suspicions were correct. Paul, I performed the test as you said. I found a center point back by the top ot the trunk and marked it. I then aligned the rear wheel and the front wheel with a straight edge. I measured from the end center of each bar. The right bar is 46 1/4" and the left bar is 45 1/8". (1 1/8" off)
It's a pity you measured it 'cause now you know it's off and it will niggle until you fix it. The fix isn't difficult, just a pain, take the handlebar off, mount it in a good bench vise padded with some wood blocks and bend it back. The small amount yours is bent shouldn't have caused a kink but there could be a slight flattening in the tube. If that's the case back to the vise and wood blocks and squeeze the tube back toward round, that alone may bring it back to true. If you don't have a nice solidly mounted 8" bench vise you might find a body shop or metal shop that would bend it back for you. My shop vise is about the second most important tool I have, the first is the big hammer I beat whatever is in the vise with!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.