Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am wanting to install a new handlebar clamp cover on my bike. Somewhere along the line, my bike had its cover painted in an attempt to match the bike. It was a very poor job. I would like to install a new chrome one. I found this one on eBay but it says that it only fits the 85 to 87 models.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-GOLDWING-GL1200-CHROME-HANDLE-BAR-CLAMP-COVER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35580QQitemZ4574250185QQrdZ1

My clamp cover does not have those side pieces on it that appear to me to clamp around the handlebars. (is that what they do?) Does anyone know if this will work on my 84?

Also, one other thing, I noticed that me handlebars don't appear to be straight. the left one seems further back (towards me) than the right one. My left arm is nicely bent and feels comfortable while riding straight but my right arm feels a little outstretched and is a little uncomfortable. (maybe my arms are different lengths) Is there a way to "straighten" the bars so that they are positioned the same?

· Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Ok, my suspicions were correct. Paul, I performed the test as you said. I found a center point back by the top ot the trunk and marked it. I then aligned the rear wheel and the front wheel with a straight edge. I measured from the end center of each bar. The right bar is 46 1/4" and the left bar is 45 1/8". (1 1/8" off)

I had the left mirror off the other day because it would not stay in place while riding. I want to get a new set of mirrors but haven't done so yet. I removed them and squirted locktite around the join to tighten them up. So far, so good.

I noticed at the joint of the left mirror that the "cup" part of the rotational joint was broken on the aft side. The left mirror also has some scrapes. I can see no other damage on the left side of the bike. What I am thinking is that perhapse somewhere in it's lifetime, it got ran into a tree, wall........ on the left side and this caused the damage to the mirror and perhapse eithertweaked the bar aft on the left side or caused some sort of misalignment in the tree as you described.

Good advice there SilverDave........ Looks like I will have to take this route. At least for now.......:goofygrin:

· Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Am already devising a plan................

I know what you mean. I thought I could just live with it but it is driving me crazy:headbanger:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.