Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I have run none ethnolo gas , straight up gas, high octane gas with no difference at all in mileage. I have put around 8000 miles on the bike since July and have run at least 12 cans of seafoam through it. I have no idea what else to try. Air filter ,fuel filter, spark plugs all new 5000 miles ago, now I have not checked the sub filter? What does it do? I am thinking the carbs either need to be synced or have a carb job done. New tires 5000 miles ago 41 in fron 42 in back. Help I am at wits end.......no gas smell from the exhaust.
What was the colour like of the old spark plugs?

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
No answers for you, but if 32 mpg is the best you ever see...something has to be wrong. I think my '98 Wing is about average and at circa 70 mph down the freeway it'll consistantly get about 40-41 mpg. First thing to do would be to see if your odometer is accurate, then go from there. The suggestions to run Seafoam through it for awhile are good ones, no downside to that and maybe it'll help. And, as mentioned above, check the color of the spark plugs...that may reveal something quite useful.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I thought I would chime in.
My 1993 GL1500 Aspencade used to average 36 mpg before I installed my California Sidecar Friendship III sidecar. Now I average 23 mpg when I ride conservatively and 20 mpg when I twist the grip hard.
Keep in mind this is with 200 lbs hanging out to the right of the bike with a 70 lb. bag of Tube sand in the trunk.

A buddy of mine gets 25-28 on his 1800 pulling a trailer, so I don't feel too bad about my mpg at all.

Have you tried checking your mpg over say 10 tankfuls?
You would get a much more usable number.

By the way, I enjoy all the posts you have here and other places and am humbled by the amount of work you get done in a short time. :)
Best wishes
Don W., Winchester, KY

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
My wife's Accord gets better gas mileage then my 1500. Ask me if I really care. Um, on second thought, don't.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
low gas milage

I feel for you on 32 mpg, I had a 91 1500A that got 32mpg I did every thing,had the carbs worked on twice, all filters, plugs.no brakes dragging every thing and 32 was all I got 60 mph on hwy. I sold it and got a 2000GL1500 se and got 37 to 41 to this day don't know why the 91 gw did so bad

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with my right hand. :)

·
Unofficial Youtube Addict
2,603 Posts
I feel for you on 32 mpg, I had a 91 1500A that got 32mpg I did every thing,had the carbs worked on twice, all filters, plugs.no brakes dragging every thing and 32 was all I got 60 mph on hwy. I sold it and got a 2000GL1500 se and got 37 to 41 to this day don't know why the 91 gw did so bad
Dont know but I ride the 91 and seem to do 39mpg on commutings. On highway I have to go faster and economy goes bad. A 6th gear would be sweet.

Other commuters at work like to say they are getting 65-75mpg. But they have small bikes and no room. They also make fun of the Goldwing and its has too many buttons.

·
702 ScottC
61 Posts
Gas mileage

My 1990 1500 only gets around 32 mpg but it has a tall Memphis windscreen and the average speed limit around here on the interstates is 70 mph. Running 75 and 80 mph these big girls will burn thru some gas no doubt. Running mine at 85mph it gets around 25 mpg.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
I average low to mid 40's on my 1999. I think the earlier models got worse mileage from what I've read on this site. I wonder if you could put later model carbs on your bike. That might help.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
My 89 was pretty bad. Fixed the dragging brakes and plugged carbs and average mid 30's to sometimes 40. Keep the tach below 3200 and it will see 38 to 40 all day problem is I can't seem to do it. Hiway speeds are 75 and I like to lead when the traffic light turns green lol...

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
1991 GL1500-I with 161K Dbl-Darkside
E = ethanol R = Regular

When I haul my heavy trailer I'll get between 32-E & 42-R MPG. One time 44-R MPG and that was with 2-UP riding.
On NASSIR 3, I averaged 38 MPG with the trailer, me, her and "a dog named bailey".

Depends on WWATT.
(Wind, wrist action, traffic and terrain)

ALSO:
There is a huge difference between Krap-ahol (ethanol) and Regular gas. Lately 2-UP Sunday rides, I'm getting 40-42 with krap-ahol and near 51 with Regular.
This ethanol is simply NOT good.

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
Ok
I have had 2, 1500 wings a 93 and the 96 I drive now. Yes the first thing I did with both is change the spark plugs. But make sure you use NGK plugs it will make a difference. I use DELO 400 oil, one had the K&M oil the filter the 96 has paper. Up on the right under the plastic is the Sub Filter and on the left just about the same place is the Cruise filter. Both are around $4.00 I changed them on both bikes and both were bad. In both cases I pulled the Radio off and the air filter shelter, I sprayed carb cleaner into the intakes and mad sure nothing was sticking the slide was sticking on the 96. I checked all the vacuum hoses and replaced one on the 96 dry rot and it was leaking just a little but who cares replaced it anyway. I went through and cleaned and tightened all the ground connections I could find. The main one is under the radio shelter on the right side big wires attached to the frame. Found rust there so cleaned it up and retightened the bolt. Afterwards I coated the entire area in some heavy grease.
Vaccuum leaks will cost you milage they are sneaky and will only get worse over time. So check all the hoses if any look even slightly off replace them. The cost of the hoses will be easily made up in gas saved.
Only use NGK spark plugs no matter how many times I say it somone will use autolite then complain about gas milage and preformance issues.
Never use Fram oil filters Cyclemax as well as others sells good ones for 5 or 6 dollars. I buy them 6 at a time that way the shipping doesn't make me groan...
To much of a good think can hurt you so after saying that I put a whole can of Seafoam in the tank in the Spring the second goes in the tank in August.
Every 15th tank (GIVE OR TAKE) of gas I use I fill up with Premium Gas and run it almost dry before adding regular to the tank.

All in all I average right around 42 miles to the gallon on my bike and that is with Gail on the back. When riding long distance I use the cruise control as much as possible it will increase your milage. Front tire at 40 psi back at 42 psi. I also have one of those tall slipstreamer windshields and Gail likes it a lot. She says she gets no buffeting and no rain unlike with the shorter one I used to have. Gas milage has not dropped enough to matter.

So there you go The Purple Pirate has put in his 2 cents....

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Ok
I have had 2, 1500 wings a 93 and the 96 I drive now. Yes the first thing I did with both is change the spark plugs. But make sure you use NGK plugs it will make a difference. I use DELO 400 oil, one had the K&M oil the filter the 96 has paper. Up on the right under the plastic is the Sub Filter and on the left just about the same place is the Cruise filter. Both are around $4.00 I changed them on both bikes and both were bad. In both cases I pulled the Radio off and the air filter shelter, I sprayed carb cleaner into the intakes and mad sure nothing was sticking the slide was sticking on the 96. I checked all the vacuum hoses and replaced one on the 96 dry rot and it was leaking just a little but who cares replaced it anyway. I went through and cleaned and tightened all the ground connections I could find. The main one is under the radio shelter on the right side big wires attached to the frame. Found rust there so cleaned it up and retightened the bolt. Afterwards I coated the entire area in some heavy grease.
Vaccuum leaks will cost you milage they are sneaky and will only get worse over time. So check all the hoses if any look even slightly off replace them. The cost of the hoses will be easily made up in gas saved.
Only use NGK spark plugs no matter how many times I say it somone will use autolite then complain about gas milage and preformance issues.
Never use Fram oil filters Cyclemax as well as others sells good ones for 5 or 6 dollars. I buy them 6 at a time that way the shipping doesn't make me groan...
To much of a good think can hurt you so after saying that I put a whole can of Seafoam in the tank in the Spring the second goes in the tank in August.
Every 15th tank (GIVE OR TAKE) of gas I use I fill up with Premium Gas and run it almost dry before adding regular to the tank.

All in all I average right around 42 miles to the gallon on my bike and that is with Gail on the back. When riding long distance I use the cruise control as much as possible it will increase your milage. Front tire at 40 psi back at 42 psi. I also have one of those tall slipstreamer windshields and Gail likes it a lot. She says she gets no buffeting and no rain unlike with the shorter one I used to have. Gas milage has not dropped enough to matter.

So there you go The Purple Pirate has put in his 2 cents....
I get the same mileage with Denso and NGK plugs. I used Fram filters on my cars and my CB750 for years without a problem.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.