Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 2012 Goldwing and a Performance Series J&M Headset in my HJC model CL-33 helmet. I have had the bike long enough to know I have the settings on the bike correct, but I have to turn the radio wide open to hear it. Without the headsets, the speakers will blow you away. I e-mailed John at J&M and he seems to think the speakers in the set are not close enough to my ears, but I don't think that is the problem. My headset works fine on my friend's 2010 Goldwing and his set (a less expensive J&M set works on my bike.) Is it possible there is a slightly different radio in the 2012? Maybe something in the radio is not compatible with my headset? Anyone else having any problems? I'm at a loss for what to think.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

I haven't heard of that before now. If your friends headsets work on your 2012, then you know the bikes audio is working. Have you tried taking the headset speakers out of the helmet and see how loud they sound? Just in case you have them facing wrong way around in the helmet.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks 07Silver, but I double-checked and there is only one way the speakers go in the helmet, based on the wiring and velcro on the other side.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

A buddy and I just got 2 new 2012's both of us are using the J&M corded elite headsets in a Schubreth C3 and it's plenty loud. We had no issues with CB, NAV, Radio or Ipod.

Is the problem just the radio? Does the NAV come through loud enough?

This is just something to try, couldn't image how it would affect the volume but got to the mode dial on the bottom left hand fairing and check bass and treble. Again I don't think it would affect volume but it's worth a try.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Hey, 1 more thing to check. I did have this same problem when I didin't plug my lower cord in all the way.

Swap lower cords and see what happens.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I have the Level One so I do not have the Nav or CB. It does affect both the radio and the IPOD although the IPOD seems to be a little louder. I will check bass and treble settings, but I wouldn't think that would affect the volume. Thanks.

·
Vendor
680 Posts
imported post

Do you have the Hondaline passenger control?? If so there is an attenuation extension cable installed in line with drivers headset cable installed. Take it out and pitch it.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

A friend of mine had this problem on his 1800, the audio was very quiet through both his and passenger headsets.

We found that one of the plugs had not seated correctly and needed pushing in more and it was not the headset plug, it was the one from the radio out to the headset, worth a try and make sure all of the plugs are pushed in correctly.

Once this was done the audio was spot on, worth a try.

Mick

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

This is on my 2010 GL1800 with premium audio, but I think the issue I'm experiencing would be the same on the 2012.

I've been fooling around with an old J&M set that we bought way back in the late '80s. The speakers are quite thick and I'm having a heck of a time getting any measure of comfort in my HJC FF Carbon, but when I don't get the speakers right at my ear, if they are off just a wee bit, I don't get much for volume in my ears. I guess I'll have to get the thinest speakers I can then spend time adjusting them for location within the ear pockets.

Regardless, it seems that the volume level has to go quite a bit higher with the headsets than with the external speakers.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

Having the same exact problem with the same headset, different helmet though. 2012 bike, i have checked and adjusted every setting on the radio.
I see that this string has been inactive for a while, did you ever find a resolution to the problem? Thinking about pulling the shield and checking connections to pigtail.
Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.