Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is it unusual for the temp to stay Around the middle of the Gauge..I have the 84 I With regular Guages

·
Loyal member
276 Posts
imported post

Hi,if your concerned that your gauge or sender may be malfuntioning you can use a heat gun to determine your actual temperature and that would give you a good baseline to compare to your gauge.When you ask if that is a normal reading are you refering to city,hiway,warm or cool weather riding?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

MY 1100 runs 1/3 the way over not 1/2 way..at night it stays at 1/4 of the bar.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

usually designed to point straight up 50% at normal... and fans usually on at 5/8 to bring it down to normal again...anything otherwise reveals a gremlin

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

My '85 LTD runs at 6 bars, thats where the fan comes on, and it doesn't go any higher. Does it day or night. I am hoping it will run a little cooler when winter gets here, but I don't believe it is overheating. It shows no symptoms of overheating. I have ridden it without the fake tank, and almost nothing goes into the overflow tank.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

My 85 LTD runs 1 bar over half way on warmer days or higher speeds, which I believe is 6 bars total. My fan comes on 2 bars over that but only does when in traffic slow moving or idling for prolonged periods after warmed.

Now that it's getting cooler, 70's and low 80's it will run right at half way quite more often. I changed the coolant when I did the timing belts but never flushed anything. I suspect I'll do that next spring.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

The owner's manual says normal operating temperature is between 2 and 8 bars, but there's only 9 bars on the meter, so I think I'd start peeing if it hit 8. Like Jerry's, mine runs right at 6, I hit 7 on REALLY hot days, but it never goes higher than that, even waiting 45 minutes in the smog station line.

I should mention, since you have analog gauges, that 6 bars is just pass half way, about 5/8 or so, 7 bars would be pushing 3/4.

I had a '83 Shadow before my wing and rode it all last summer, on good hot days it stayed about 3/4 on it's analog gauge.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

If you have coolant in the bottle (somewhere between min and full) and the gauge stays under 3/4 and the fan is cycling on and off, don't worry about it, it's fine.

Ken

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
imported post

That sounds like about where mine has always run. The fan doesn't come on until the needle is very near the red.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

For my 1200 with interstate gauges.

while riding in town the needle wont go past 50%, thats where the fan kicks in.

while riding it will be no the small step that is around 30%

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Okay appears I am Okay..Stays at the small step and when the temps are around 105 and above it crawls up to the half way mark and sometimes a little over if I sit in traffic it will crawl up to the 3/4 mark but once underway it drops again.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

The LTD has about 12 bars total, although it also has a line to the left of the bars, which gets twice as wide above the first 4 bars. I don't know if that means 4 bars is normal or what. Mine has NEVER gone above 6 bars, but it has never run below 6 bars either. I wouldn't mind having a non electronic temperature gauge in there somewhere, to tell me what the actual coolant temperature was. Even better would be an oil temperature gauge.

A remote infrared thermometer won't do you any good. I have one. You will get an infinite number of readings, depending on where exactly you point it, The carbs will be cooler than the exhaust, etc. It will not give you an accurate coolant or oil temperature reading. While oil temperature is fairly stable, coolant temperature is all over the place, depending on where you put the gauge. It will be hottest closest to the exhaust ports, and coolest in the radiator.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

Both my Ltd's during summer run 7-9 bars fan on at 7 and winter below 70ish will run 4-7 bars, I cross check oil and water temp on the travel computer and they pretty well match up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.