Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Love my new to me 93 GL1500, has 40k on it, and i went out for my first longer distance and hwy ride today. My question is this, at about 70-75 it felt light in the front, and like it was getting blown around way too easy (like by semi truck wash, etc). Is this normal? I felt like i had to work harder then i should have to keep it on line.The bike does have a fork brace.

Its not a tire issue, as there is a new dunlop E3 on front this morning (old tire was cupped and causing a vibration). I took my v strom out after, and just felt much more planted than the GL. I thought the GL would be easier on the hwys, the strom on the side streets.

Comments or suggestions? I know it has a much bigger front end, and it was windy today, so is it just catching the wind more than i am used to?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Wings catch a lot of wind. one secret is to not try to hard to keep the bike online as you say. Let the bike find it own way. Just to big a bike to try to manhandle. Have a light grip and enjoy the ride.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Like wilf said, keep a light touch on the handle bars and let the bike travel, within reason of course where it wants to. Im not one to stay in any certain path in my lane, I just let the bike do what it needs to in order to not fight the ride, road or winds.

You may also want to look at your forks, springs? Fork oil? air pressure?

I run progressive springs and have always ran with 0 Pressure in the forks. Right now I have 4 PSI in them.... Not liking it.... so will probably let that out and go back to zero.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Agree with the above. Also check your bearings in the steering head.
The Wings as stated have a lot of surface area so they do tend to catch breezes and such. It is one of those characteristics you get used to. Also, the Wing is very well balanced with a lot of weight down low so the top half will seem to sway more than it really is.
Also, just because your front tire is new, recheck the air pressure. Most guyts run them around 40, but a shop may only air it up to 33-35.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
As a side note this is my 4th Wing and have had an assortment of other bikes, all smaller of course. I hit a deer 8 months after buying this bike back in '05. Had I been on any of the other lighter bikes I have owned I think it would have been a lot worse. The weight of the bike at speed (50 mph) drove me through the deer so I did not even go down. Had I been on my old VFR700F...
What I mean is this: I will take the oddities of this bike and how it rides because it has proven itself to me in MANY of the worst instances from animals to snow. Not trying to say you are never allowed to give it up-just saying all models have their quirks and I am ok with the Wing's.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Aerodynamically, that's the price you pay for wind protection and storage capacity. It's a big 'target' for a side wind and what you describe is what I would suspect. If you're tailing a big object and in its aerodynamic 'wash'...some weaving is normal. My ST1100 does this also.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Also a new owner and I learned real quick to let the bike do its thing...but geez these things are nimble and having a VTX1300R also, they are scary fast ;)....good luck

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
If you know anyone else with a 1500 try swapping bikes for a trial. That should prove to you whether they all feel the same or maybe there is something about yours needs looking at.
+1 on the above comment about checking your tyre pressure and having the front at about 40psi

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
If you're passing a truck on the interstate at 80mph I don't think 'let the bike do it's own thing' is the best advice. The 1500 countersteers just like any other motorcycle. Anticipate the wind and the circumstance and take control. Riding a motorcycle in traffic during adverse conditions requires attentive and deliberate riding if you wanna stay alive long.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
If you're passing a truck on the interstate at 80mph I don't think 'let the bike do it's own thing' is the best advice. The 1500 countersteers just like any other motorcycle. Anticipate the wind and the circumstance and take control. Riding a motorcycle in traffic during adverse conditions requires attentive and deliberate riding if you wanna stay alive long.
You take me too literally...but thats ok.....over 40 years of riding and never been down...but hey thats just me.....have a good un...

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I bought my 93 back in April and I have to admit my first few rides were at times scary. Cross winds were a bear, in fact any wind at all seemed to blow me around in an uncomfortable way. I found though as I became more familiar with the bike and began to relax those problems seemed to go away. For me the wing is my first experience at a big, heavy, touring bike and it was just a matter of getting to know its characteristics and then relaxing. Now I am rarely troubled by wind and passing trucks etc.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
My first goldwing was a 1200 then I moved up to a '93 1500. I put about 20,000 miles on the 1200 and over 130,000 miles on the 1500 in just about all the weather conditions you can find. In fact crossing the plains with Jluvs2dive and NaturalyGW enroute to NASSIR1 we spent a couple days in hard crosswinds. I don't think any of the three of us found the 1500s to be unstable in gusty crosswinds. Passing semis in those condtions can feel odd because the wash off the truck trailers shifts around quite a bit. As already mentioned it might be worth taking a good look at your steering head bearing tension and checking for any play in the forks or swing arm would be a good idea.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Hey all,

Love my new to me 93 GL1500, has 40k on it, and i went out for my first longer distance and hwy ride today. My question is this, at about 70-75 it felt light in the front, and like it was getting blown around way too easy (like by semi truck wash, etc). Is this normal? I felt like i had to work harder then i should have to keep it on line.The bike does have a fork brace.

Its not a tire issue, as there is a new dunlop E3 on front this morning (old tire was cupped and causing a vibration). I took my v strom out after, and just felt much more planted than the GL. I thought the GL would be easier on the hwys, the strom on the side streets.

Comments or suggestions? I know it has a much bigger front end, and it was windy today, so is it just catching the wind more than i am used to?[/QUOTE]

Bingo.
The first time I rode mine (1500), I was riding it home from Memphis. As soon as I got on I55 north, I was going it to a 25-30mph wind & I was in the center lane with semi's on each side of me. I was getting blowen all over & I thought to myself "What is going on here". That was the Spring of '11. Today, about the only wind I notice is a hard cross wind. In time, you won't even hardly notice the wind.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
The hardest thing I had to learn on mine was to relax. The more I tried to control it the more it seemed to fight me. When I learned to let it lean in a gust she took care of herself and always popped right back to where she was before the gust. I hardly ever felt the gust after I got used to it. Good luck and enjoy your bike!

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
All of the possible mechanical items are good to check, but speaking as a recent goldwing owner coming from heavy vtwin, the goldwing catches a ton of air and it certainly does cause an uneasy feeling in the front end. I work near the airport in st louis (nice big open space to let that wind just roll at you). You will get used to it and its really not a real big safety issue. My suggestion is to easy up your grip and relax. if you try to fight the bike, you will be tired as hell when you get where you are going to.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,646 Posts
As mentioned, stay loose and let the bike find it's own track.

You just sit loose and keep your body upright, do not lean over with the bike.

My GL1500 handles heavy side winds much easier than my ST1100. neither of them bother me, I just let them follow their own track.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Mine wanders when the rear shock psi is set too low... Try bumping it up to the max of 59psi (stock), or higher if it has Progressives.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Fork brace bolts!

Also, make sure your fork brace bolts are tight. They tend to loosen up and will make the front end seem loose. Even a half turn loose on one can be felt on mine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.