Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a 1988 1500. I rebuilt the carbs as the bike sat for about 8 years. Put in all new jets, O-rings, and slide valves. Made sure everything was nice and clean. Before taking out the pilot jet screws, I turned them in for a total of 3 turns. I set them the same when I put the carb back together. At idle the exhaust smells real strong and I get a popping every now and then. Bike runs great other than the popping and exhaust smell.

My Honda shop manual does not say anything on how many turns out they should be. The Clymer manual showed three turns for the 88 and 2 turns for the 89. The Clymer manual also tells how to set them, but I need to hook an external tach on for adjustment. Where is a good place to hook a tach to? I am not finding any single wire to hook it up to.

So, my question is how many turns should the pilot screw be out on the 88. I know they did a recall for the hesitation. Just did not know if the pilot screw setting changed with this. Also, where is a good place to hook a tach up to?

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
From my experiences, the factory settings on the air screws are VERY close to where they need to be. So much so, that I stopped messing with them.

You can use an inductive pick up style tach. (similar to a timing light). That is as easy as you can get, but tend to be a little pricey.

I don't intend an insult, but I need to state that there MIGHT be a chance that something was overlooked during your rebuild. I did the carb.s in my 88 due to a NASTY off idle issue (worst one I have every seen), and it was fine after, but my bike has never been stored more than a few months at a time. Its rare for me to do the carbs from a bike that sat THAT long and only need to clean them ONE time; there are way too many TINY places that hold crud that you can't get at, and then 10 miles from home a chunk decides to migrate.

There are lots of things that could cause the problems that you discribe, such as a vaccum leak, vac lines in the wrong places, clogged passage(s) in the carb(s), stuck slider, maybe other things too.

Bill

·
Administrator
27,920 Posts
If you used aftermarket kits that came with jets they are quite possibly the wrong size, even if marked the same. Better to clean and reuse the original jets.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
+1 on what Dave said..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.