Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The other day I noticed antifreeze leak when cold out after reading of others I now have the crossover tubes out of the bike and getting new o rings and gaskets. But also the fan never came on the other day and it stated overheating so I've took the fan and radiator out and the fan is working when jumped so I took the thermostat out of the water pump housing dipped it in boiling water and used ohm meter and it never showed a reading. Is that my problem with the fan and I need to get a new thermostat. ?????:?

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Check your temp sensor and its connections.:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

the fan is switched on an off by the thermo switch . which it located in the thermostat houseing. the big one , in front of the tin shield . the small one , behind the tin shield is for temp gage. there is a check out for this thermoswitch in the manual useing your ohm meter and oil , or , trans fluid . oil is used because of the boiling point differance between oil an water. there has been some disscuseion in the FAQ section on useing a cheaper than honda part to replace it. good luck with it and keep us informed .

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

don't go aftermarket on the switch they do not operate within the same temp range.... pay mother honda for OEM IMHO

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

It shouldswitch on right around boiling (at sea level), i.e.98 to 102 C, so testing in water is not a reliable method.. use some cooking oil and a candy thermometer...

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Well I got a cup of water boiling that would be 212 F plus and tested it with OHM meter and it did not move I went to Honda dealer and told him how I tested and asked if they could test it. He said that is the same way they test it so I guess I need to order one. Have to see if I can find it cheaper on line rather than dealer.

:(

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

justagrinin wrote:
..I went to Honda dealer and told him how I tested and asked if they could test it. He said that is the same way they test it....
and you believe a dealer over what is said here???

Here is what the manual says (below).... and you could use coolant (antifreeze), but water is not good enough.. (it is probably bad by the way you describe your problem, but this switch is expensive, so a little testing might save a bundle)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

What was I thinking sandiegobrass.:cheeky1:

It must of been something I ate..

Thanks for the info duly noted.. Now I need to heat up some oil...

If it is necessary to replace I read about the 94 GEO is that still a good option or is it trouble...

sincerely .. thanks for all the help

:cool:

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

justagrinin wrote:
...If it is necessary to replace I read about the 94 GEO is that still a good option or is it trouble...
I read the samestuff you do.. However, I only use the OEM switch.

Most automotive switches are placed in the radiator outlet (goldwing is in the radiator inlet) so the typical automotiveswitch settings (temperatures)are somewhat below what the Goldwing requires... This means that the switch will come "on" just fine, but may never (or seldom) turn off since the thermostat keeps the coolant hot... not good for the fan or the battery...

I don't know the Geo switch.. but I'd want to test it before I even tried (or read the specs).... and I don't trust someone just saying "it works".. I'd want to know the "on" and "off" temperatures by written specs or test..

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

from everything I have heard n this site and others a car thermo will do exactally what Jim says... run way too often, it is best to pay the $$$$'s mother-honda wants

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure how you jumped the fan to test ti but you can verify the thermostatic switch by pulling the connector off and connectingthe two pins in the connector together. That should cause the fan to run. If it does then the switch is definitely bad.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

To jump the fan I just used two wires to the battery and it kicked on. I did check to make sure that it had a hot wire going to the switch. So putting a jumper on the connector should definitely send current to the fan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.