Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was wondering.

For those that have done the poorboy mod. dose thestock volt meter still show a reading on the dash with this mod?? Or do you have to do a volt meter mod. also??

Thanks Kurt

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Does the Sei need a poorboy? I thought the OEM stator on that model had a much higher output than the other models.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

This is not a definitive answer but I believe it would work as normal. It gets its input through the bikes wiring harness which would still be powered by the battery and charged by the new alternator. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I would think so as well.

Groucho, the stators are designed to put out more but still have a failure rate equal to or greater than the regular out put ones.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

Yes the LTD/SEI stator can still fail. They put out 500 watts as opposed to the 300 watts of the Int/Asp but it still has the plug for the 3 yellow wires in front of the battery that becomes corroded then gets hot and melts. I had a 85 LTD that I bought new and it had a stator failure due to the 3 wire plug melting. This was before I had heard of the plug being subject to failure like that.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I don't need a Poorboy kit at the moment.

I replaced a reg. about 6 months ago and it took a dump the other day. Needless to say it was a after market China type one. I did order a good one. The stator is fine.

Just thought I would check with the LTD-SEI guys to see if they where able to still use the volt meter on the dash.

Thanks Kurt

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

The voltmeter on the dash probably gets it current through the IGN switch so it might read slightly lower than what the actual battery voltage level is, probably in the range of -.02 volts

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Gone14.

Voltmeter works independantly off fuse 6 so yes it will work and will showthe improved voltage. You need to really trace out and have a good look at the yellow wires all the way to the regulator. Additionally, on the SEi there are additional connectors some of the wires loop through a radio filter. See pics...Here's the filter location...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

...view with harness showing-this pic borrowed from another member. Normally the 2 connectors shown here attach to the bikes wiringand are not connected together as in this pic...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

If you are using the same wiring yes .The meter reads the voltage output.no mater what size amps the alt is.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks folks.

I replaced the reg. today with a good one. She is back to where she used too read again. Those cheap China ones are junk.!

I went with a reg. that has a good review threw these GW foruims.

Thing about it is the place was right here in Sac. Ca.

You would have thought I could have drove over and picked it up........but no, they had to mail it to me across town for 14.00

Could of had it the same day I called them, instead it took three days to get to me.

Oh well,such as life.........but the bike is up and running good again.

To be honest this SEI has never given me a problem. I sold this bike about three years ago. Then I bought it back. The former owner had it sitting on a car charger and cooked the battery. I replace it with a gell battery and then the reg. went out.

Thats the only problem that I have had with it.

Kurt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.