Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lovely wife brought home some extra loose ammo for me last night. Included was 7 rds that had 45 Colt stamped into the base. I am not familiar with that caliber but mentioned that now I'm going to need a new gun LOL! She just rolled her eyes. So a quick search turned up both 45 Colt as well as 45 LC (Long Colt) but several things said they are virtually the same. A quick search of one of my go to online gun places listed 45 Colt and 45 LC separately. It looks like it is a popular "cowboy" gun and usually comes in single action revolver styles as well as lever action rifles. I even found Derringers in 45 Colt as well. I kind of like the single action revolvers and might consider going with a western style belt and holster.

But I am confused about the whole caliber. How do I tell the difference between the 45 Colt or the 45 LC? Are they specifically stamped as such or are they actually the same round? Because of the crazy market right now, I am going to hold off until things settle down. But I don't want to buy the wrong thing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
The way it was explained to me was, the LONG in long colt was to differentiate it from the .45 Schofield (sp). Which was a much shorter cartridge of the same early western time period. The .45 Colt and .45 LC are the same cartridge. I have brass marked both ways. If you do get a new revolver, get into reloading and forget about the whimpy cowboy loads. A strong Ruger and a 300gr cast bullet will put you in the middle of .44 Mag territory...

Reactions: Pwhoever

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The way it was explained to me was, the LONG in long colt was to differentiate it from the .45 Schofield (sp). Which was a much shorter cartridge of the same early western time period. The .45 Colt and .45 LC are the same cartridge. I have brass marked both ways. If you do get a new revolver, get into reloading and forget about the whimpy cowboy loads. A strong Ruger and a 300gr cast bullet will put you in the middle of .44 Mag territory...
So then when I see firearms that are listed as either 45 Colt or 45 LC, they are basically the same then as long as they aren't identified as Schofield? I am just looking at getting into this as more of a hobby as I have plenty of other pistols that I would rely on for self defense.

·
Administrator
26,581 Posts
The picture is definitely a long colt, a 45 S&W (Schofield) is way shorter. I have a S&W model 625 classic (1 of 1500 made) and a Winchester saddle ring carbine in 45 LC.

Reactions: Pwhoever

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thanks to Shooter and Dave0430, I now know what to look at. Thanks for clearing that up guys!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My lovely wife brought home some extra loose ammo for me last night. Included was 7 rds that had 45 Colt stamped into the base. I am not familiar with that caliber but mentioned that now I'm going to need a new gun LOL! She just rolled her eyes. So a quick search turned up both 45 Colt as well as 45 LC (Long Colt) but several things said they are virtually the same. A quick search of one of my go to online gun places listed 45 Colt and 45 LC separately. It looks like it is a popular "cowboy" gun and usually comes in single action revolver styles as well as lever action rifles. I even found Derringers in 45 Colt as well. I kind of like the single action revolvers and might consider going with a western style belt and holster.

But I am confused about the whole caliber. How do I tell the difference between the 45 Colt or the 45 LC? Are they specifically stamped as such or are they actually the same round? Because of the crazy market right now, I am going to hold off until things settle down. But I don't want to buy the wrong thing.
My 1894 Peacemaker fired a .45 cal rim fire

1 - 7 of 7 Posts