Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I changed out the timing belts on my '94 Aspencade (31K miles but wasn't sure if they were original - they were). I also changed the oil for the first time.

I've noticed that at just around the same time this work was completed I started hearing an occasional VERY QUIET screeching sound that I don't remember before (I've only ridden about 1K so far on it so am still learning the noises).

My first thought was maybe the new belts are a little tight but they seemed to have the 5mm or so play when I tightened them and it sounded fine when I first started it after the changeout. Plusit doesn't make the sound when idling or revving, only when riding, and then only once in a while. It goes awayimmediately if I pull in the clutch handle but I wouldn't think that would change things if it were the timing belts being too tight.

Because it's intermittent, so quiet and only when riding it's hard to pin down. Seems like it might be connected to the clutch somehow since it goes away when I pull the handle in. No slippage whatsoever and shifts as good as ever, no indication of any issue other than this really quiet once in a while screech. I used Mobil 1 Synthetic which I used for years on the Shadow 1100 with no issues. And both tensioners turned freely with no noise so I wouldn't think it's them.

For all I know the sound was always there - it's so quiet that maybe I'm just noticing it since I've been listening specifically for a "belt too tight" sound after changing them. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Turn up the radio :ROFL: it will be the new belts sometimes they take a time to bed in . :waving::waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hmmm....never thought that the problem might be the radio's too quiet. Although now that you mention it, when my 17 year old daughter was on the back yesterday and had her Brittany Spears/Selena Gomez radio station blaring the noise DID go away. Of course, a half hour of that music and even a screech would want to get away from it...thanks for the post :^)

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
imported post

After I changed the belts on my '95, I began to notice a slight 'whine' at around 2000 RPM. This lasted for about 3000 miles and then it just stopped. I assumed that the timing belts were a little tight (even though I made sure to follow the instructions on setting the belt tension).

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

It certainly isn't bad, not even constant so I guess I can run it a while and see if the belts settle in.

The instructions I followed made me think that if they are too tight I'd have heard it as soon as I started it back up but I didn't. Plus, if I understand what the belts actually do, not sure why pulling in the clutch handle makes the sound immediately disappear - I would think that since the engine is turning regardless of clutch engaged/disengaged the noise would happen as soon as the engine starts.

Any chance the oil change to Mobile 1 might be causing a little slippage with the clutch plates and that's what I hear? Maybe not enough to "slip" out of gear but enough to hear? Just a wild guess but those of you who know a LOT more than me can maybe tell me mechanically why the tensioners would react to the clutch disengaging and not whine with the bike in neutral and even revved up.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Did you push up on the tensioners or let the spring set the tension on the belts?
Was it while going around/in a corner? If so could be the tires singin'.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

If I remember correctly I had to put a little pressure on the tensioners before tightening them because the spring alone left them what seemed a little loose from what the specs said to look for. I had also read somewhere on here that since springs can get stretched don't rely on them for setting the tension but go for the free play of the belt.

Definitely not the tires - it happens in straight cruise and if I pull in the clutch handle to shift the sound immediately disappears, then shows up again intermittently in the rest of the gears. That's what makes me wonder if the clutch doesn't like the oil I used (changed it about the same time) and maybe the plates are slipping just a little or something. The oil would be an easy fix for sure as I'd HATE to have to spend three more hours taking those front belt covers off again (I'd probably break a gasket or something this time!).

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Probably are the tensioners, some say just wait it out the belt will stretch.
Oil I use the Delo 400le 15w40. Seams like I've read both that you can and not to use synthetic.

·
Administrator
26,180 Posts
imported post

A lot of people have trouble understanding the belts keep turning as long as the engine is running. They do not stop when you pull in the clutch.
You probably are hearing a little gear whine which is normal and you have a little paranoia from changing the belts. The change of oil type may have something to do with it also.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Don't know what it is but I agree with Dave, if pulling in the clutch stops it, it is definitely NOT timing belt/tensioner related...

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

That's something I was thinking - that the belts are turning as soon as the engine is running and why would pulling in the clutch lever while riding make a difference. And Dave's right - paranoia is a pretty good description of me after doing much of anything on the scoot, especially something as potentially damaging as the timing belts. I've DEFINITELY been wondering if I did everything right. And with the recent oil change and its potential effect on the clutch there could certainly be a connection there. What I do know is it continues to ride and run great so far.

If anyone else has some input please let me know and I appreciate ALL the responses I got so quickly. I think what I'll do for now is keep riding as is since it's only making that sound maybe 1/4 of the time and is barely noticeable when I do hear it.Does anyone have the Honda OEM Part# for Prozac??;)

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
imported post

I'm with the group that thinks what you are hearing was already there and now after doing some work on the bike you are paying more attention to the little sounds it makes. The 1500 engine is so smooth and quiet that the normal sounds the gearbox and other running gear makes is more noticeable than most other bikes. I would keep riding it and unless the noise gets worse not worry about it.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

You're probably right, Larry (at any rate that's what I'm going with for now because it involves zero work and it seems to be running fine!).

BTW, my wife looked over my shoulder just now as I was reading your post and wanted me to say she LOVES the color of your scoot. Mine is the '94 stock wine color but the PO had some brushed accents put on it with your color so at least I don't have to buy another one (yet)...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.