Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about repositioning my airhorns below the saddlebags and have a slight concern.

Does it affect the airhorn if it's mounted horizontally instead of vertically? IO don't see why it should, but thought I would ask before going through all the work.

·
1,566 Posts
The only thing I can see about the two options given is that mounting the horns horizontally lets the full sound go in the direction the horn is pointing. That is Forward. (Or to the rear. Although I don't know why you would want to mount it that way.)
Mounting it vertically, the sound is being pointed either up or down depending on how you mount the horn.
My own personal choice is to mount the horn(s) pointing forward. That is the most likely direction of seeing trouble brewing and wanting to alert those ahead. And that is the direction most of the sound would travel mounted horizontally with the horn facing forward.
I also expect you to get a lot of blast when you sound them as you will be forward of the horns. You will also get reflection off the fairing. But pointing them down to reduce that will also reduce the amount of sound going forward.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
I'm suspecting you are taking about Waho type compressor/horn combinations. Also known as Bad Boys. Mounting these horizontally will direct the sound into the pavement. You will get 360 dispersion of the sound.

Pointing the outlet of any horn in any direction other than the way you want the sound to travel will have an impact. Now, if you are concerned about water entering the horns and fouling them, as long as they point down, it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

I have mine mounted under the headlights, between the forks and pointed directly at the numbskull that just pulled in front of me. I have chrome dust covers on them to keep bugs and moisture out of them.

I have the compressor mounted in front of the left storage pocket and ran the airline to the horns.

Works fine and is loud. The cagers still look at you wondering where you came from and why you are honking at them !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.