Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A very good question about archiving. You'd think that they could keep stuff a little longer than is the current policy.

Hobie

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey Hobie1 :stumped: What kind of stuff are you looking for. :doh:

:3sum::18red::3sum:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Well the great thing about this board is you can go all the way back to the start of the forum....Ciaran..

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Sorry about the ambiguity. I actually should of PM'd Mr. Saunders about this as I read a post of his somewhere else.

How doesthis boardkeep all of the information that has been written since the start of this board? Does Mr. Saunders have his own server? How big of memory does it take? I know it would have to be in the high Gigabytes if not Terabytes.

Just curious. I do appreciate being able to go back when I first started posting here and re-read some of my own items as well as others.

Just another reason why this is a world wide well regarded site.:clapper:

Hobie

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Hi Hobie, you obviously readSteve's "what happens to older posts"message on the GWRRA site. I've oftenlooked for some info on the GL1500, ie the part number for the reverse switch (right side near the dipstick, Honda don't list this on any of their parts fiches, so we need a part number) was one. I knew this was on the GWRRA forum a few years ago and I did a web search (I use Webferret)a few weeks backand it listed several links to the GWRRA site. When I clicked the links I found they were dead links, also there were big gaps in the archive so I never found what I was looking for. This has happened to me as well many times.

It would be a real shame if they just get dumped after a few years, some of the technical info there is invaluable and will be sought after again and again as newer people become Goldwing owners.
I've always found the GWRRA forum a mine of great tech information and never had problems using it, so I don't want to get a flame going here and I still think it's a great forum. Maybe if they just got rid of the general posts and kept the technical stuff?

I can't say how the server bandwidth thing works here, but as the GWRRA forum doesn't allow you to upload picture files then I can't see how bandwidth is an issue when the members are paying for it, so why not keep older posts?

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

That is correct. I don't know how they figure when to archive. It seems like it's arbitrary sometimes but that is just my observation, not necessarily fact.

Both the Tech board and Classic board have valuable information. It's a shame to see it disapear after a while. It also creates situations where something may have been discussed last month at length and then you get a new member that didn't have a chance to read the stuff, ask basically the same question again.

Oh well, I still go there to learn things and if I come across something that I think would serve people well here, I try to pass it on.

There also is the http://groups.msn.com/BackYardBuiltGoldwingsBarGrille/messages.msnw

and http://groups.msn.com/ClassicWingSIG/general.msnwboards that I browse. They don't get nearly as much traffic as this site but occasionally there is a nugget of info worth passing on, such as my post yesterday pertaining to brake fluid. I got that from the Backyard site.

Anyways,

Regards,

Hobie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.