Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery in my 2006 Gold Wing gave out on me. Bike started, I heard a POP, then engine died. Dim lights still evident. It was a cheap Chinese battery the P.O. had installed. Since replaced with a Deka battery. All is great again. . Trying to figure out how old the failed battery was. .It has 130815 branded into the top of battery. I am assuming the 15 was 2015. Is this a code like tires?
gumbyred

·
Registered
476 Posts
I dont think there is an industry standard like tyres so who knowd

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
The battery in my 2006 Gold Wing gave out on me. Bike started, I heard a POP, then engine died. Dim lights still evident. It was a cheap Chinese battery the P.O. had installed. Since replaced with a Deka battery. All is great again. . Trying to figure out how old the failed battery was. .It has 130815 branded into the top of battery. I am assuming the 15 was 2015. Is this a code like tires?
gumbyred
The pop you heard was the strap between the cells "exploding", it was corroded and unable to sustain charging current after just barely able to start the engine.

You fixed the problem, by replacing it with a good battery.

As said, there isn't a "standard" for battery quality before sale.
Caveat Emptor

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
gumbyred
Yes, looks like 13th of august 2015. All batteries have a date code but some are strange to decipher.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The old battery treated me right anyway. It shorted out in the garage on a cold start. Not out on the road 100 miles from home.
gumbyred

1 - 6 of 6 Posts