Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK my oldest son's tiller wasn't too bad, it has a Honda engine on it, took the carb and tank off, took the carb apart soaked it, tank came really nicely clean, used trick on cleaning tank from this forum...Got it back together took some spray carb cleaner two shots it cranks and with a tiny bit of air adjustments, it will dig a hole to China, if you hold it in one spot, runs and digs great...

Then he has me pick up his wife's grandmothers Sears Craftsman tiller, granny passed away a number of years ago, his father in law has a "real tractor", gave granny's tiller to his daughter, my DIL....This is a rather old Sears Craftsman tiller with a 4 hp Briggs and Stratton engine, pulsa-Jet carb, Lord I always did hate working on those carbs!!!.... Again took the tank and carb off, tank was so full of rust, I did that tank cleaning on it, it leaked!!!!!...OK one new tank $78.00...:shock:...

Took that carb apart, bought a new plastic fuel tube $7.00, soaked that carb for two days...Then washed it out blew it out dry. made sure new pickup tube was on correct, installed new carb kit, not much of a kit, several gaskets and a new air screw...Made sure I used the correct gaskets, put it back together, there is a "throttle return spring" behind that two quart tank, took me two hours to get it to stay on...Remember I'm challenged on my left hand, short two fingers, so it was a fun time...

Half a tank of fresh gas, added a bit of Stabile, hit it with that spray carb cleaner, it fires up running great, did the 1 1/2 turns out on the air jet, it won't run smooth a high rpm's???..It's surging???...Took everything back off had extra gaskets, checked them, its all good...One pull on choke and it runs, same problem???

So I'm at this point, one load it up take it top the lawn mower shop, to find out what's wrong, if I got something on wrong as in that throttle return spring, or if I'm missing a spring????...Final thing, that carb could be bad???..I've rebuilt loads of pulsa-jet carbs in my life time, never had a problem like this???...Those pulsa-jets are more like a two cycle carb, one gasket that's your "flapper", and two mounting gaskets...

Suggestions????

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
What did you soak it in?
There are some small passages deep inside those pulse carbs. If I remember correctly the pulsing is a lean condition, check your gasket between carb and block.

·
Administrator
24,339 Posts
I think it may be the dreaded governor spring or the linkage causing the high RPM surge. I would do 1 of 2 things, either not worry about it, run it at lower RPMs, or suggest you should have put another $20 with the money you spent on it and went to Harbor freight and bought a new engine.

·
Just one of the guys
4,772 Posts
Governor sticky? That could cause pulsing.

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
If my feeble memory serves me correctly Briggs has a little kit out to stop the vacumn leak on the fuel tank/carb junction. But then that might not be the problem or even the fix for that problem.

And yes, those pulse jet things were just a plot to sell new carb & tank assemblies. Even expert factory trained guys soon learned to just put a new one on it. But that is what all repairs are, just put a new one on it. In the case of the B&S stuff it is more profitable for the dealer to put a "New One" on it than it is repair it. Besides on those pusle jet things the freebie return repairs are many.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looked at Harbor Fieght engines, Reviews were very mixed, more to the "poor" side...Took it to the lawn mower shop, return spring?, I did have it backwards, but they said not a problem..When I was putting it together I sprayed each gasket wityh sealer, so no vacumn leaks there..Son bought me a can of Berryman carb soak, took my welding tip cleaner ran every passage I could find, Blew air through all of them, but some where its "plugged up"....

Son said don't mess with it just buy the new carb...Tiller has been setting up for over 10 years in the DIL's dad's garage!!!!...At least I got it running abit it not quite right, but it does run enough to where I didn't have to strain my milk getting it loaded and unloaded....:shock:...:ROFL:...

A few years back one of our company supervisors owned a lawn mower shop, hired me part time, to work on the equipment customers bought in....Mowers, from push to one old wore out Power King tractor...Now that one was a trip, had an 8 hp Kohler engine, I installed a 16 hp Kohler engine that I built...Ran like a scalded cat...Chain saws, weed wackers, etc....

On my Sundays when the shop was closed was when I would go spend 12 to 16 hours rebuilding engines, sharping blades, boreing blocks etc...But my biggest gripe were those PulsaJet carbs, if it hadn't been setting up for years like this tiller, most times an over night soak, then 3 gaskets was all most took...:?...

This is crazy, we had one customer that was a commerical fisherman, used chain saws to cut the heads off of these huge fish, used food grade mineral oil, instead of regular chain oil...I've seen fish scales as big as a fifty cent piece and bigger...He would bring it 10 or more chain saws, some were easy fix, others by mistake got "straight gas", so he would drop them off on a Monday, said "what you can't fix by Wed, give me brand new ones"!!!!...We had a bunch of "rental chain saws", I took three home, sold two, mine got "legs" and walked off????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.