Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My tires are starting to cup @ 12,000 miles and new tires are needed. I'm going to try the Dunlop Elite III's which have a good rating.

However the dealer I use has quoted me two (2) hrs shop time to change both front and rear tires at a cost of $ 180.00 which includes balancing.

This is my first Gold Wing and I feel this is unreasonable amount of time to change both tires. The dealer says he's quoting from the Honda Service Book, but I think and hour should be sufficient for both tires.

My question ... is an hour sufficient time for both tires ???

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
imported post

I agree on the cost... but they are charging for the removal of the saddlebags to get to the rear wheel to remove it. Thats how my local dealer explained it anyway.... So, a couple of hours for removal of bags, dismount/remount of both tires, balance... at 90 and hour shop rate I assume... and walla, there ya go... :)

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Mick Shane wrote:
... but they are charging for the removal of the saddlebags to get to the rear wheel to remove it. ...

Saddlebags don't need removed. Removing the rear fender and amp (if equipped) along with front portion of front fender is probably what they are including in the time required.

It would be considerably cheaper to remove the front and rear wheels yourself and either change the tires yourself or bringin the removed wheels. I don't know what your capabilities are.

If you have a hitch installed the dealer will probably want to charge extra.

On a side note: Everybody has opinions on tires and though not solicited, I found the Elite III for the 1800s to be entirely too slippery on both wet and dry pavement. It may be that I ride a bit more agressive than some but, in comparison to other tires given similar conditions I was not impressed with the Elite III in this respect.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I watched vendors change tires all day long at last years WingDing in Greenville and I never seen a single one remove the saddlebags off a 1800 to change the rear tire. One man could do both tires on the racks they used to change both tires in an hr.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
imported post

Gotcha.. like I said, that is what the stealership here told me the reason was... being new to Goldwings myself, well, I guess I am vulnerable and accept some of it as truth... my bad. I know now... :)

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

There is a detailed video on this site for changing the 1800 rear. I think it shows the rear coming off in 10 minutes without removing anything. Just layed the bike over on pads and took the wheel off. Looked really easy. You could do a search for it in the Tech area of this site.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

If you have a motorcyle jack,than I would pull them and take them to the shop.
But my shop got greedy and wants 40 bucks to change the rear and 30 bucks to change the front and then another 20 bucks EACH tire if you didn't buy them from them(get screwed from them).
so thats why I bought my setup and do it all myself.

O by the way, any forum member living close to me, I'm more than glad to change a tire or two out for ya,it's not that big a deal.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
imported post

My local HONDA dealer in Fort Walton beach, Florida Charges $145.00 an HOUR! BUT, they have a killer tire deal. They installed a set of Dunlop Elite III's on my GL1500 for 320.00 OUT THE DOOR. This is their normal deal for every Goldwing that comes in. You choose the tires (Front and back) from their limited selection of Brigstones, Dunlops Elite III's or one other name brand (I can not remember which one) and it is the same price out the door. Both tires mounted, balanced and new stems for just $320.00 is not bad from a HONDA dealer. It only took them 80 Minutes from talking at the parts counter, picking out the tires, to riding out of the Dealership. Fast service, great price!

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

Thats not bad,thats works out to be about 70 bucks for there labor.
My cost was 250 bucks or so for the set of tires...

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

I hope you can find a good deal like we have here....
High Octain in Thousand Oaks and Cal Coast motorsports in Ventura. If you buy your tires from "them", and bring the wheels with old tires in to them, mounting and spin balancing is FREE! I have never had a dealer change wheels and tires on my Wing. It is just too easy to take the wheels in to them.

Good tire prices also. With the free mounting, they beat even internet prices.

If you buy tires elswhere Cal-Coast charges, I think, $28 to mount and balance on your wheel rim.

I don't know what they charge if you bring the bike in. 1hr or 2 labor... don't know!

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Thanks for the input ... figured it should only take an hour to change both tires if the dealership is any good.

I'm going to try the elite's and see how they perform.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

Give the E-III's a try. I however found them to be slippery in rain and noisey when they wore in. I also found 3 fronts that were out of round. However I also have a couple friends who sware by them. I prefer the Stones. Tire choice is subjective.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

Hi Savoy Brown, neat name by the way, we are screwed here by our dealers. The tires are very expensive north of the border. You are far better deciding on your choice of tire and have it shipped to a drop box south of the border and then riding down and collecting them and just pay the GST at the border coming back, in fact get some other stuff, such as a service manual from say Cyclemaxohio to make it worth your while. Just remember if you buy a jacket made "off shore" you will also pay duty on that item but not on the other stuff as it goes under auto parts for some reason, thank goodness!
I was quoted here on the Island $320 after tax for a rear tire for my 1500 plus 20 bucks if I bring in the wheel off the bike to have it fitted. I got the tire from Wingstuff for $168, shipping was free and GST is @ 6% further 10.08 comes to $178. Even with two ferry trips at $35ea about $70 and gas I'll still save close to $70. Now if I get other stuff such as a few necessary parts and another tire if I am replacing a set I can save a huge amount. You are living on the mainland so you do not need to take the ferry so you save 70 bucks right away. So realistically speaking, if you got a set of tires delivered south of the border and collected them you could save at the very least $250 even after paying the tax.
If you are handy, you can easily remove the wheels from your machine with the standard tool kit. But I would recommend a jack which you can get from Canadian Tire or Princess Auto or Harbor Freight This is the one http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2792 It is basically the same and you can get it cheaper sometimes at CT http://tiny.cc/fw1Fm or http://tiny.cc/Wkeal

Hope this helps. You may find a smaller dealership will change your tire for less, just remember that they may not be totally familiar with your Wing and it may take longer.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
imported post

I hate to share this because it sounds like it will make some of you mad!:cooldevil:

I took my rear tire/wheel and an on-line-bought Elite III to the shop where they charged me $20 to mount. Plus, I showed up at 5:30 (the shop closes at 6:00) thinking I was going to drop it off and pick it up another day but they said; "Hang on and we'll get right to it."

You know they'll get more of my business!

P.S. Charge was for mount only because I use dyna beads.Brought my own tire because dealer doesn't stocka 70 series.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

Shiny_side_up wrote:
I hate to share this because it sounds like it will make some of you mad!:cooldevil:

I took my rear tire/wheel and an on-line-bought Elite III to the shop where they charged me $20 to mount. Plus, I showed up at 5:30 (the shop closes at 6:00) thinking I was going to drop it off and pick it up another day but they said; "Hang on and we'll get right to it."

You know they'll get more of my business!

P.S. Charge was for mount only because I use dyna beads. Brought my own tire because dealer doesn't stock a 70 series.  
No that is service with a smile and that is always welcome!

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
imported post

Dont make me mad,... just at the dealer here... they charge 119.00 "just" for mount and balance of the rear tire... they will get you for another 100 bill for the front.....

But thanks to a tip/recommendation from a member here that lives close, I found a guy to mount and balance free if you but the tire from him... I know where my business is going from now on....

Dealerships here are cutting their own throats... its sad.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
imported post

Mick Shane wrote:
Trust me Mick, I know, I used to live in Olathe (great place!). I couldn't afford to walk through the door at (S.C.P.). Used to be a guy in Halstead that would work on any bike for a fair price. I can't remember his name? It's a far drive out there but man he was good.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
imported post

Shiny_side_up wrote:
Mick Shane wrote:
Trust me Mick, I know, I used to live in Olathe (great place!).  I couldn't afford to walk through the door at (S.C.P.).  Used to be a guy in Halstead that would work on any bike for a fair price.  I can't remember his name? It's a far drive out there but man he was good.
Yeah SCP wont even touch anything less than 10 years old, not even a tire... And I bought 2 brand new bikes from them... oh well... And FC over in Grandview is the one I was talking about on the un-usually high mount/balance... Customer service is great at both, but I would be happy too if someone just unloaded a paycheck on labor charges!!!
25 bux to mount/balance, I wouldnt have a problem at all with...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.