Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have been reading about using electrolysis to clean rust out of gas tanks...some posts say to use 2 amp and others say 10 amp, which is the right amperage and do I use a 12volt charger? Also is it best to do this outdoors due to what some have said( boiling over and messy)? Some have also said they remove fuel petcock and others have not. Do you siphon out water or let it drain out through filters or take filters off and let drain out hose? I am going to do this in the next few days.

Thanks

I love this site...more knowledge here than honda shops!

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

2 is slow 10 is faster that's all..yes outside a good idea.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Cleaning small 'Wing parts by electrolysis worked well for me. I used around 6-10A. You want a good bunch of bubbles but not quite boiling. I used a battery charger without a battery. Adjusting the current flow is done by varying the size of the anode, adjusting the depth of the anode or adjusting the amount of washing soda in the water. I used a strip of 1/16" SS, plain steel or just about any conductive material will work though SS will last longer. Plan on making the anode removable because it will need cleaning from time to time during the process. Arm and Hammer Washing Soda (not baking soda) or Sodium Carbonate which is available from places that supply pools and spas is the chemical you want. You can use this method to remove paint, grease, and corrosion from metal parts. It works well and can save a lot of elbow grease. Here's a link that shows the set up:

http://www.altelco.net/~jacil/clay/motorcycle/KElecSetup.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.