Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I notice some places sell the spark plug wire boot and 5k resistors.

I have spark at the wires and at the plug. I removed the sparkplug laid it against the cylinder head and saw a blue spark so I hope I'm OK there, but the bike still runs badly and now it will not start. Do you think replacing the boots will help, but the way all of the parts are original and have been rebuilt except the coils and wires.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

I just put new boots/plug ends on my 78 and it fires every time now. I found that the screw that the wire turns onto was very rusty and that the wires had corroded
badly. They are only about 5 bucks each for the after markets and all new rubbers came with them. Cut about 1/2 an inch of the old wires off if you have the slack, and it will give you fresh clean core to work with. Use some di-electric gel on the wire to help slip the new rubber seals on. Dana

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
imported post

If you have spark at the plug, and we are assuming it is at the right time. it should run. changing boots i dont think would help. do you have fuel?

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Yeah I took off the screw also and it was corroded, I tried cleaning with a wire brush but that did not seem to help much I guessI'll go ahead and get some.

Yes I have fresh gas and it is getting into the cylinders

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

My 2 cents,,, I have a 77 and it was a barn find project..It needed everything except a rider, and so after much work (cosmetic)& (machanical)and timed to the nines.. I was down to some very erratic engine fire. Thru process of elemenation I replaced the ignition sys..Electronic ignition coils and wires and boots (All by Dyna)and WOW!! The best money I have spent on this bike, she idles and runs without a glitch!!
PS..Sometimes you get tired of tweeking and tinkering and want to ride!

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

I rebuilt a 1966 Chevy 396 ci. years ago and it would not run right. I rechecked all my valves and timing and they were right. The man that owned the station were I worked had a spark plug tester that you could screw your plugs into and watch the arc as you increased the pressure in the chamber. Six of the eight Champion plugs would stop arcing at 90- 110 psi and the motor had 140 compression, I put in autolites and it ran great. Just because you have spark when you lean one against the block doesn't mean it will fire at 160+ psi.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

What highcountry said. Get a timing light and check to see if they are firing when installed. How have you eliminated carb problems?

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Thanks for the replys, I did the timing light and it was OK.

Maybe it's time to upgrade the system, I was going to do it over winter anyway.

·
1,819 Posts
imported post

with the timing ligth can you "see" the current in the wire ,but remember , you cant see the spark on the plug .(the sparkplug could be defekt )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.