Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Going through the manufacturers book on my 85 GL1200 LTD and they recommend the oil be changed every 8000 miles......?.. Really? 8000 miles? Gotta change the plugs every 4000 but not oil? If that is the case, I would change the oil every 4k when I do the plugs (maybe not the filter?)

Also was looking for the pcv valve info, according to the book it can just be cleaned? Not replaced. What would the recommended cleaning practices be? Brake cleaner? gas? Airgun?

Sorry for the stupid questions but would rather embarrass myself then go for a ride then to embarrass myself and not be able to ride.........

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

I used to own a 85 LTD and I just changed the oil and filter about every 4-5 thousand miles. As for the plugs, I don't know what Honda was thinking when they recommend replacing the plugs at 4k miles. I finally changed mine at about 75k miles, not because it was running any different, just to see what they looked like. They still looked good with little wear and after replacing them I couldn't tell it ran any different. Still got about the same fuel mileage as it was getting... about 40-44 mpg.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

What he said. I changed my plugs after a review here after I had but 12 grand on it and they still appeared okay I just didn't know how ling the PO had them in. My mileage is right around 44 at 3500 Rpm.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Bellboy40 wrote:
I used to own a 85 LTD and I just changed the oil and filter about every 4-5 thousand miles. As for the plugs, I don't know what Honda was thinking when they recommend replacing the plugs at 4k miles. I finally changed mine at about 75k miles, not because it was running any different, just to see what they looked like. They still looked good with little wear and after replacing them I couldn't tell it ran any different. Still got about the same fuel mileage as it was getting... about 40-44 mpg.
Try running leaded fuel which was the norm in 1985.
I think you'll find that Honda was correct at that time but times and fuels change. nowadays it's not uncommon for spark plugs to last 100,000 miles. Not that I would go that long.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Bellboy40 wrote:
I used to own a 85 LTD and I just changed the oil and filter about every 4-5 thousand miles.
Thats along the lines of what I was thinking, right around 4K for every oil change. During a riding season I may do it 2x.... Maybe 3X if the weather is good. (10 times if the wife would ride with me). For the cost of oil, I would rather be safe than sorry.

The plugs that are in there no are split fires which I really like. I took them out the other day and re-gapped them all to .32. All them were nice and white, clean as a button, so Im sure they have a few thousand more left in them.

Thanks all for the replies, appreciate the input.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

With today's gas and everything, I would recommend changing the plugs at around 75k miles with the iridium plugs and every 50k miles with platinum. You won't see much of a difference when you do, but then again, do you notice much of a difference when you change your oil? As far as that goes, I change my oil every 3-5k miles. Even then, my oil still looks only slightly used and doesn't have the smell or taste of others that I have seen. The PCV valve on the other hand only needs to be replaced when it doesn't work any more. I'd take it out and clean it with some air. It should be a check valve and should allow air to flow through one way but not the other. I'd say your doing alright with that maintenance plan you have going. Oh, and welcome to the forum. :)

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
Try running leaded fuel which was the norm in 1985.
I think you'll find that Honda was correct at that time but times and fuels change. nowadays it's not uncommon for spark plugs to last 100,000 miles. Not that I would go that long.
You are correct Ken, I had forgotten about thatleaded gas. That would cause the plugs to get all cruddy in a short while. It is amazing how long the plugs will last now with the unleaded.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.