Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Had to take the rear end out to effect repairs. Now then I pulled the bellows back and slid the yoke back on the output shaft but the drive shaft does not seem to want to go on now will this take more muscle power pushing it up there then I am using?( Because of spring?) Is there something I am doing wrong?:waving:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Do you mean the drive shaft won't slide back on the splined output shaft? If not, try turning the driveshaft a little bit. It's probably just not lined up just so,

Hobie

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

Done a LOT of these.
I peel back the u-joint yokecover, position a prybar onthe u-joint yoke and get it positioned towards the middle of the swingarm.
The rear assembly is a bit cumbersome to work with. So I put a 2x4 parallel to the sidewall of the tire, and use a shovel (perpendicular to the tire) and use the shovel tip to help lift tire assembly. The small 2x4 sits under the shovel and will get the tire assembly high enough to line up; without the 2x4, you'd need to use your hands more to lift it up instead.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

If you put the drive shaft in first then mate final drive with it afterwards you'll have fewer things going on at once and more control over the shaft as you try to line up the splines.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Glad to see I'm not the only one that had this problem. Check out this thread starting at post #19:

Mating driveshaft & U-joint

We finally got it but I think we weren't lining up the driveshaft and u-joint quite straight. It takes a bit of jiggling to get it just right and then it should slide in easily.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Okay thanks sounds like a two person job..I have the tire off and will mount it when I get the final drive on. Okay I'll put it in gear. Get someone to hold up the rear end while I hold up the yoke I'll see how that goes. I'll have him turn the shaft till it locks in. It is barely catching so I may be not lined up correctly. If that does not work I'll sperate the shaft and do it that way.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Lawrence, I feel your pain. I struggled with mine for an hour before coming up with a solution.
The 1200 shaft has a cylindrical recess at the final drive end and I believe the 1500 has the same. I found a socket that just fit that recess and using the socket with a 12" extension I had the leverage to lift the u-joint with the front of the shaft and they slid together.
Total time from finding the socket to turning around to pickup the final drive was under 30 seconds.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Ken, that's why you're a 'Guru' and I'm just a 'Very Active Member'. :readit:

I have to try harder. :brokedown:

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Okay got it left it in N had afriend push it in while I turned the ujoint with some slip joints went right in..thanks all.:waving:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

wpgfire wrote:
Ken, that's why you're a 'Guru' and I'm just a 'Very Active Member'. :readit:

I have to try harder. :brokedown:
Lawrence, you're doing good, after all you took the drive line apart and put it back together.:claps:

BTW: And just for information, you're using way to much Moly paste on those splines, just a very thin coat will do.
Also reading through through the links you posted you had the shaft in correctly a few times. When you pulled the shaft out and most of the Moly was gone that was because the splines mated and wiped off the excess paste.:shock:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

ceasefire49 wrote:
Okay got it left it in N had afriend push it in while I turned the ujoint with some slip joints went right in..thanks all.:waving:
WARNING!! BEWARE! VERY IMPORTANT!

Good that you got it together but be aware that the nuts holding the final drive on should only be torqued AFTER the rest of the bolts are all tightened and torqued. Just finger tighten them until all the rest are torqued. I'm talking about the shaft nut/pincher bolt/shock bolts. If you tighten the final drive nuts first you may have the rear tire out of alignment.

And, Ken, thanks for the vote of confidence. Its only because of the Forum that I even started to do my own wrenching.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Yea didn't know that but thats what I did. Geez I screwed up correctly for a change. I but the wheel assembly on did the shocks put the Brake back on. Came back over tightened the axle nut then pinch bolt then tightened the drive shaft housing bolts then moved up put the bellows back on. That sound right the wheel looks like it runs out okay..I will find out tonight I guess. hahahahaha. Don't know why I did it that way. I think I was just kind of doing it in reverse of how I took it apart. Thanks for the heads up.:praying:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.