Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello all I have a question, I would like to know if there is a way to tell if the orig. timing belt has been changed and how to tell if a timing belt need's to be changed. I am going to take a 2000 mile trip. I bought my bike last year with 48000 miles on it. It now has 54000 how long does a timing belt last and how can you tell if it need's replaced. Is it farley easy to replace. I know you have to watch all timing marks. Thanks for the help
MCFF:):):):) Going to riding down to Tenn. to the Dragon tail.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

mcfirefighter wrote:
Hello all I have a question, I would like to know if there is a way to tell if the orig. timing belt has been changed and how to tell if a timing belt need's to be changed. I am going to take a 2000 mile trip. I bought my bike last year with 48000 miles on it. It now has 54000 how long does a timing belt last and how can you tell if it need's replaced. Is it farley easy to replace. I know you have to watch all timing marks. Thanks for the help
MCFF:):):):) Going to riding down to Tenn. to the Dragon tail.
1. No real way of knowing if it's original or not.

2. No real way of knowing if it needs to be changed.

3. They last until they break.

4. You know it needs to be replaced when it is a number of years old, and has a certain number of miles on it. My personal preference is that I wouldn't put more than 40,000 miles on a belt before replacing, or let it go much more than 6-7 years.

5. It's reasonably easy to replace - there are lots of places on the web that give fairly detailed instructions. If you take your time, you shouldn't have much trouble.

The problem with timing belts is that they are designed not to stretch - at all. This is a requirement, because they have to hold the engine timing in sync - if they stretched, the timing would go out. Because they don't stretch, they don't crack like regular serpentine belts, so a belt that is worn and about to break can look exactly the same as a belt that is good for another 50,000 miles. There is only one true way to know that your belt is not worn out: replace it.

If I had your bike, with 54,000 miles on it, and had no idea whether or not the belt was original, that would be one of the first things I did to it.

My opinion only of course.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Gates and NAPA belts are both quality belts that will perform as good or better than the Honda belts, and at half the price. For some time Honda just re-branded Gates belts, I don't know if that is still true or not.

Just make sure to stay away from cheap Chinese belts that you'll find online - they're not worth the savings.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

I agree with GSMacLean and hatchetman on this issue.

If you are unsure as to when they were last replaced then replace them. It is a few hours/one day job. The hardest part is taking the stuff off to get to them. Follow the detailed instructions and you should have no problem. Then you will have a peace of mind knowing that they are in great shape.

Ride Safe!!!

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

napa belts are 10-14 bucks versus 54 at stealer. When you put new belts on write the date and milage on the inside of the cover, that way you or the next owner will know :)

Ride Safe, Ray:waving:

By the way in the ref / facts section there is a great how to on timing belts replacement:clapper:

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

I agree with other posts.I recently changed the original honda belts for gates belts,the originals had honda & gates markings.Honda stamped on them will cost over double.Once done,one less thing to think might break.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

By all means PLEASE write on the inside of the belt covers when and mileage replaced. The PO of mine could have done me a favor and done that. I wrote inside after I went ahead and changed them.Couldn't take the chance on breaking one.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Every bike should also have a maint. log book, and that is also a very easy place to record things like timing belt changes. Of course, it is very easy to cook or falseify a log book, whereas it would be almost foolhardy to remove the belt covers andrecord a false entry without actually replacing the belts.

How many engines are damaged by breaking belts?? Dunno--but I will wager that far more engines are damaged by people who install new belts improperly than are ever damaged by breaking belts. As well, many belts that do fail, are caused to do so by some other failure(such as the tensioners). While I would never advocate a total neglect of good timing belt management, I really do think that many folks are a wee bit anal about the whole issue(in a nice way).

My old 21 year old Toyota is still running merrily along on its origional timing belt and I have no intention of bothering it. And I would bet that 80% of all Goldwings have never had a belt change

But MINE has.:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Guys I have searched for the Gates and NAPA timing belts on there web sites nothing where can I buy them. Does NAPA carry them and don't have them on there web site. I am going to run down to NAPA and ask them. MCFF:?:?:?

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I went to the Napa parts counter and asked for the belts by number. He looked them up and they had them in their local wearhouse. He had them for me the next day.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

mcfirefighter wrote:
Guys I have searched for the Gates and NAPA timing belts on there web sites nothing where can I buy them. Does NAPA carry them and don't have them on there web site. I am going to run down to NAPA and ask them. MCFF:?:?:?
http://www.rockauto.com about $7 each plus shipping Gate T070

Attachments

·
Premium Member
220 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

Hawker22 wrote:
Every bike should also have a maint. log book, and that is also a very easy place to record things like timing belt changes. Of course, it is very easy to cook or falseify a log book, whereas it would be almost foolhardy to remove the belt covers andrecord a false entry without actually replacing the belts.

How many engines are damaged by breaking belts?? Dunno--but I will wager that far more engines are damaged by people who install new belts improperly than are ever damaged by breaking belts. As well, many belts that do fail, are caused to do so by some other failure(such as the tensioners). While I would never advocate a total neglect of good timing belt management, I really do think that many folks are a wee bit anal about the whole issue(in a nice way).

My old 21 year old Toyota is still running merrily along on its origional timing belt and I have no intention of bothering it. And I would bet that 80% of all Goldwings have never had a belt change

But MINE has.:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:
I am always amazed by how many folks buy into the timing belt change "scare tactics".

I have been riding Gold Wing's since 1979 and have never know of a timing belt breaking and destroying an engine. I am talking about timing belt failures (not sloppy mechanical work).

My 1999 Gold Wing has 157,635 miles on the original timing belts and I am not worried about them.

My old 1990 Gold Wing is still running around with 135,000 miles and the original timing belts with no problems.

I really get a chuckle out of the folks who think they should be changed at 50 - 60k miles when Honda recommends "inspect and replace if necessary" at 100,000 miles.

Then you have the folks who think they need to be changed every 10 years regardless of miles. There is no recommendation (and never has been) by Honda to change them every 10 years. It's just a "pipe dream" some rider came up with and started posting it on message boards. Before long, others starting taking it for the gospel and passing it along. And it just keep going and going and going.............! Ya know the old story "just like little duckings" following the leader down the road (right or wrong).

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure how well this translates to the goldwing engines but I can tell you that you don't want to push a Mitsubishi over 100,000 without changing belts. I have seen quite a few with bent valves because of the belt breaking. Still driving my 500$ 93 Eclipse I repaired about 6 years ago because the belt broke.In fact I have a lady now wanting me to repair her car ( 99 Plymouth Breeze-similar engine- about 116,000 miles) because of guess what. A broke timing belt.So to each his own and do what makes you feel good about it.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
mcfirefighter wrote:
http://www.rockauto.com about $7 each plus shipping Gate T070
$7 each wow! :shock:

NAPA charged me $61 total for two. O well, lots better than what I heard Honda stealership wanted. I would rather support my dealer and would if their prices were about the same.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

[suP]I just did my 1988 GL 1500last weekend. Gates # was T-275. Car Quest uses same #. It took longer to take the plastic off the bike than it did to change the belt.They were like $24.00 each.[/suP]

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.