Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
Joined
·
4,513 Posts
imported post

bamadave wrote:
sandiegobrass wrote:
http://www.rockauto.com about $7 each plus shipping Gate T070
$7 each wow! :shock: NAPA charged me $61 total for two. ....
but I presume for the T-274 for your 1100.. Only the T070 for the 1200 is this cheap.. reason is, this T070 belt is also used on popular Toyota cars.. lots of them sold..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,813 Posts
imported post

csmithrc wrote:
I'm not sure how well this translates to the goldwing engines but I can tell you that you don't want to push a Mitsubishi over 100,000 without changing belts. I have seen quite a few with bent valves because of the belt breaking. Still driving my 500$ 93 Eclipse I repaired about 6 years ago because the belt broke.In fact I have a lady now wanting me to repair her car ( 99 Plymouth Breeze-similar engine- about 116,000 miles) because of guess what. A broke timing belt.So to each his own and do what makes you feel good about it.
I could tell you about many many GL1500's I have personally seen with well over 100,000 miles on the original timing belts with no problems. I have also changed a few timing belts on some Gold Wing's (back to the 1988 year) with around 150,000 miles on original timing belts and no problems.

I base my comments on personal experiences not on what I hear from others who (may or may not) have the same experience.

I am not recommending that anyone else follow my timing belt change interval, just stating my personal experience and what works well for me (and several of my riding friends).

To each their own, I don't really care how folks choose to spend/waste their money on unnecessary maintenance.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,048 Posts
imported post

i have heard horror stories on here from people who have changed their belts and screwed it up ruining their valves and their pocket books and postponing their trips. my belts where shall we say loose when i checked them. they looked good but i had the covers off and it took me 20 min. to change them and that was the first set i had done. if you go so far as to check them and you feel comfortable changing them then go for it. i live in tn come on by and i'll help you. the dragon is a cool ride been there and done that but you have to watch out for the rockets.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,813 Posts
imported post

Skoto1, I have ridden the Dragon. It is pretty good but I prefer riding in West Virginia. There are some great roads in West Virginia, I have ridden in all 55 counties. Have ridden in all the lower 48, there is some great riding in the western states. I can be in West Virginia in just over an hour from my house.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
210 Posts
imported post

RayandTracy wrote:
napa belts are 10-14 bucks versus 54 at stealer. When you put new belts on write the date and milage on the inside of the cover, that way you or the next owner will know :)

Ride Safe, Ray:waving:

By the way in the ref / facts section there is a great how to on timing belts replacement:clapper:
DAMN!!! 10 to 14!!!????:shock: i just sent 60. to cresent for a pair, what are they selling???:cool::coollep:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8 Posts
imported post

I was just considering today on whether I need to change the timing belt on my '81 GL 1100. After reading all these post I have come to the conclusion that it probably wouldn't be a bad idea cosidering I have no idea when it was changed before or if ever. Thanks guys.
 

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
Joined
·
4,513 Posts
imported post

2Dahorizon wrote:
RayandTracy wrote:
napa belts are 10-14 bucks versus 54 at stealer.
....10 to 14!!!????:shock: i just sent 60. to cresent for a pair, what are they selling???
Relax (and read all the posts above)... you have a GL1000 which uses the T274 belt.... it is unique to the Honda GL1000 (and GL1100) gold wing... The cheap T070 (for the GL1200) is also used on several million toyota cars, so it is plentiful and cheap..

You didn't get ripped off.. ($60 might be on the high side, but typical for the T274 is about 50 for the pair....) The cheapest place I've found it www.rockauto.com and you will have about $32 plus shipping for about $45 for a pair of T274 belts..
 

·
Guru
Joined
·
3,074 Posts
imported post

DBohrer wrote:
csmithrc wrote:
I'm not sure how well this translates to the goldwing engines but I can tell you that you don't want to push a Mitsubishi over 100,000 without changing belts. I have seen quite a few with bent valves because of the belt breaking. Still driving my 500$ 93 Eclipse I repaired about 6 years ago because the belt broke.In fact I have a lady now wanting me to repair her car ( 99 Plymouth Breeze-similar engine- about 116,000 miles) because of guess what. A broke timing belt.So to each his own and do what makes you feel good about it.
I could tell you about many many GL1500's I have personally seen with well over 100,000 miles on the original timing belts with no problems. I have also changed a few timing belts on some Gold Wing's (back to the 1988 year) with around 150,000 miles on original timing belts and no problems.

I base my comments on personal experiences not on what I hear from others who (may or may not) have the same experience.

I am not recommending that anyone else follow my timing belt change interval, just stating my personal experience and what works well for me (and several of my riding friends).

To each their own, I don't really care how folks choose to spend/waste their money on unnecessary maintenance.
I have read through this thread & thought for a while before I replied. I know that some here think that we use the "Scare tactic" when it comes to timing belts & when I mention them to anyone who asks or is new to Goldwings, I do not bring up the subject as a scare tactic.

The facts are what they are. If a belt fails for any reason engine parts will collide & damage will occure. I think it is very important that anyone who might not know that be told so that they can use their own judgement. If a Wing rider looses an engine due to this because he was never educated about it & he is a member here than we have failed as a group to help each other. When I bought my wing, I had no Idea that it was an interference engine & there are some here on this site that have weak mechanical skills.

But even if the belts are good at 75,000 miles, There could be a bearing on one of the tensioners about ready to grenade which will also cause the belt to slip causing engine damage. I inform anyone that I think might not know so they have the oportunity to make an educated decision onweather or not it is required.

I would rather hear that an engine was damaged because someone couldnt be bothered to do preventative maintenance Than hear that someone lost an engine because they just didnt know belt failure was a possibuility.

I think that $30 is good piece of mind every 5 or 8 years & thats why I dont feel that we use a scare tactic.

I hope this puts timing belts in a different light.

Wayne.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
175 Posts
imported post

Sounds to me like we need to have aRegional Timing Belt Replacement Seminar. Somebody willing to host a session with a demonstration. I’d ride a few 100 miles and spend a day for something that worth while. We could post several scheduled events on this site.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,813 Posts
imported post

hatchetman wrote:
DBohrer wrote:
csmithrc wrote:
I'm not sure how well this translates to the goldwing engines but I can tell you that you don't want to push a Mitsubishi over 100,000 without changing belts. I have seen quite a few with bent valves because of the belt breaking. Still driving my 500$ 93 Eclipse I repaired about 6 years ago because the belt broke.In fact I have a lady now wanting me to repair her car ( 99 Plymouth Breeze-similar engine- about 116,000 miles) because of guess what. A broke timing belt.So to each his own and do what makes you feel good about it.
I could tell you about many many GL1500's I have personally seen with well over 100,000 miles on the original timing belts with no problems. I have also changed a few timing belts on some Gold Wing's (back to the 1988 year) with around 150,000 miles on original timing belts and no problems.

I base my comments on personal experiences not on what I hear from others who (may or may not) have the same experience.

I am not recommending that anyone else follow my timing belt change interval, just stating my personal experience and what works well for me (and several of my riding friends).

To each their own, I don't really care how folks choose to spend/waste their money on unnecessary maintenance.

But even if the belts are good at 75,000 miles, There could be a bearing on one of the tensioners about ready to grenade which will also cause the belt to slip causing engine damage. I inform anyone that I think might not know so they have the oportunity to make an educated decision onweather or not it is required.


Wayne.
I would agree with most of what you have stated, however there is another consideration.

There are two different situations..!

1. Timing belts with 75,000 miles on a bike (since new)?

2. Timing belts with 75,000 miles on an older bike (with considerably more miles on the clock)?

If item # 2, yes you could have tensioner bearings that might be about to fail (if never serviced before).

If item # 1, then Honda recommends inspect (replace if necessary) at 100,000 miles.
In this particular case, then Honda does not support your 75,000 mile theory.

The bottom line depends on which case folks are dealing with (item #1 or item # 2) above.

My comments are based on timing belts for a GL1500. I have no problem trusting Honda's recommendations on timing belts. They probably know more about them than any of us here on this message board.

With that, this will be my last post on timing belts.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
36 Posts
imported post

Back in the 1960's a line mechanic at the local chevy dealer gave me some advice. One is change the oil every 2,000 miles. He said feel of oil on the dipstick that has been driven for 2,000 miles. I did and it was gritty. Also change out the water pump, and timing belt every 75,000 miles. Also rebuild the starter and the alternator, and you most likely will not break down. I keep in close contact with Hank and both of us have driven American made cars for over 350,000 and neither of us has ever had their car breakdown. I am new to the Gold Wing and I just bought a used 1999 that has 23,000 miles on it. The first thing I have done is read the repair book and made a note of everything that needs to be either checked or replaced. I have a list of 25 things that need to be done, but at least I will know everything is up to snuff and most likely I could take off on a 2,000 mile trip and not have to worry about anything except maybe an oil change. I do all of my own repairs, therefore the cost is parts only. But the timing belt is the most important thing. Should it break or slip there may be more than just the cost of a timing belt. Most likely some valves and pistons would be broke.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,608 Posts
imported post

Hey SanDiegoBrass!! Thanks! I ordered 2 belts from them. What a deal! I'll have them in the shop so I can go OCD on it this winter. That is a great price, again thanks. jimsjinx
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
909 Posts
imported post

Bought two belts from NAPA last month for 84 GL1200I. They are Gates belts with the NAPA brand stamped on them. NAPA belt number:
250070

Around thirty bucks for the two of 'em.
 
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top