Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My daughter & son in law have an '88 GL1500 Wing that is experiencing very low fuel mileage only getting around 125 - 130 miles per tank (about 25 - 27 mpg) The bike has been maintained fairly well by the PO, we changed the plugs &timing belts when they got it 2 years ago just to be on the safe side. However we've noticed on long trips that its not getting the mileage like most other 1500s', my '89 is averaging between 37 - 42 mpg. I have suggested either doing a complete carb tear down and rebuild or to exchange them out with some carbs from the early '90s since some of the early '88 models had problems with the carbs,also consideringreplacing the vacuum hoses. I've heard of an advanced timing trigger wheel and wondered if this would help.

The bike has 114,000 miles, dosen't use any oil and rides very well. Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the mileage issues on this bike?

Thanks.

·
mmonsterbuck
402 Posts
imported post

tn, i have 88 also, trigger helped on power n mpg, put in irridium plugs also, do 39 mpg 2 up now, check sub filter on right side, have u changed air filter

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The air filter was changed along with the plugs but will switch over to irridium, they are doing great in my bike. Better check the sub filter forgot about it. My fuel mileage is with 2 up also, I had an '88 back in the early 90s and it got great fuel mileage, don't know whats up with this one.

Thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If the subfilter has disintegrated due to age particles of it's foam can get into the vacuum lines and other places where it can cause problems. BTW you can make a new foam filter easily out of a piece of the green air filter foam hardware stores sell for lawn mowers. Just cut a piece that fits the holder.

My 1500 averages 40mpg solo and pretty much the same 2 up. Probably because when two up I'm a bit lighter on the throttle. I run Champion spark plugs in the bike so I don't think different plugs will make much difference in fuel burn, most likely it's some crud in the carburetion system or an air restriction due to a poor air filter.

Runa strong dose of Sea Foam through a couple tanks of gas to see if that helps. Check the color of the spark plugs before and after, that will help you identify any gains there. A peek at the vacuum lines would also be well worth while, there's a lot of them and a cracked or loose one could be the culprit.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

We now have a new sub filter, will be looking at the vacuum lines next. Exavid I'm thinking along the same lines of crud being in the hoses. Planning to check all hoses and replace any in question. Most definately SeaFoam will be going in the tank when its reassembled, I've had good luck with it in my cars and bikes.

I know Honda had a problem with their '88 carbs, I found a good clean set from a low mileage bike and had thought about swapping them out along with the computer control since we have the bike tore down that far right now, think I can get both at a decent price. I want to be sure the bike is in good running order for the kids so we can get some trips in this summer.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Don't know just how the sub-filter effects the carbs but it apparently is a secondary air inlet. If the filter is old and becomes brittle I can see how it could be sucked into the vaccuum lines and cause problems. Our filter was so brittle that when the housing was tilted to get it out the filter turned to dust. Guess no one had ever replaced it.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

Call me slow...but where is the sub filter located.....i am getting very poor fuel mileage on my 89 1500....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.