Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am going to start running Kendall GT1 20W50 in my '04 with 115,000 miles on it. There are two Kendall GT1 20W50 oils - high performance and motorcycle. The Kendall distributor recommends not using the motorcycle GT1 unless I'm riding a crotch rocket. For Gold Wings and other large bikes they recommend the high performance (not motorcycle specific). I've asked why, and they're checking with their lab to find out why that is their recommendation. Is anybody familiar with Kendall GT1 20W50 and their two types - high performance and motorcycle - and why they would recommend high performance over motorcycle?

This thread is NOT asking about dino vs. synthetic. This thread is NOT asking about which viscosity to use. This thread is NOT asking which brand to use. This thread is only asking about Kendall GT1 20W50 high performance vs. GT1 20W50 motorcycle specific.

Thank you.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Air cooled vs water cooled?

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Take a look at this site. http://www.penngrade1.com/ I believe Brad Penn oil is made at the old Kendall plant in PA. Hard to say if it's the exact same oil, but they list the specs for phos and zinc in the site. I'm thinking you can compare them to see how much difference there is between then.,,

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

My only experience with Kendal GT1 oil was in the mid 60s. I had a 65 Dodge D-Dart with a north of 300 hp 273 engine that would turn 8500 rpms. The oil would be beat into an air laden form after a few passes down the drag strip. Kendal GT1 was suggested by the factory boys and it did work. Would pull the dipstick and it would be nice normal oil. The real cure came with a windage tray and baffles in the pan but the GT1 did the job first.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for your input. Decided on the non-motorcycle Kendall GT-1 20W50. It's definitely not energy conserving. $41.80/case + tax. They said almost all the motorcyclists that buy GT-1 20W50 buy the non-motorcycle oil.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

PhotoGuy wrote:
Thanks for your input. Decided on the non-motorcycle Kendall GT-1 20W50. It's definitely not energy conserving. $41.80/case + tax. They said almost all the motorcyclists that buy GT-1 20W50 buy the non-motorcycle oil.
After talking to Kendall R&D and a few other people, chose the Kendall 20W50 motorcycle oil. $10/case more than the High Performance. Both will probably work just fine, but the m/c oid has a slightly higher MA rating. Most likely makes no difference in the end but, if I'm going to choose a Kendall 20W50 oil, might as well go with the "best" for my bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.