Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Bought a couple of 55watt driving lights to go on the show chrome bracket.
The wiring diagram says to ground each light to the frame then ground the switch. Now then I am not using the lighted switch which has three poles but a water proof two pole switch. Can I ground all to the same spot and and just run a wire back to the switch from the ground? I have the fused power link to the battery and over to the switch.:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

By the way I got the 55watt jobs because I will be doing a Poorboy conversion in a few months.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Okay I will do that. Now that you posted that I think I recall you posting that about a dozen times because I now recognize it. A mind is a beautiful thing to waste.:waving:

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

I agree, use the relay since it will handle the current better than your switch.

You can either ground the lights to the engine or frame, but I'm anal and I like to run the grounds back to the battery. Your choice.

Henry

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Probably do the battery deal as it seems like it would be easier.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

And you can plastic tie the relay to that handy bracket that is left after you have removed the burnt out connector for the three yellow wires, and that is right next to the negative side of the battery :)

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

I would use Tricky's diagram but I would put the switch on the ground of the solenoid instead of the hot. No need to run power to the switch if you are not using a lighted switch.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

jwhitmore44 wrote:
I would use Tricky's diagram but I would put the switch on the ground of the solenoid instead of the hot. No need to run power to the switch if you are not using a lighted switch.
okay what you are saying is skip 86 all together and wire a double wire to the spade on 85 and run it to the switch?:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Okay I see what you are saying. I didn't even think about putting the relay down there. You mean run the ground to the solenoid instead of the battery. Okay gotcha

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I do have one more question though..why do I hook up a power source to the positive side of the accessory switch and also have 12V to the relay? I don't know.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
imported post

Ceasefire, I think what he means is to wire the accessory power to terminal 86 and wire the switch to terminal 85 and ground the other side of your switch. Everything else would be the same.

What you want is to switch the ground to the relay windings and have battery on the other winding when you turn on the ignition switch.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

tricky wrote:
Downright plagiarism :)

And nary a mention
OK, :D

The above mentioned circuit is a modified version of one designed by "tricky" and posted in this forum. :bow:

Sorry tricky, was just trying to clear up the confusion for him:smiler:

Good enough??

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Yep Thats how I wired it. 86 to the negative side of switch and positive to the access panel. Boy what a diff putting those lights on made took it out last night in the desert. Now I am afraid to go out in the desert after dark didn't realize they had so many carnivores out there.:ROFL:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.