Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,
My name is Leonard and I just joined the group. I am trying to help a friend who owns a '91 Aspencade with a technical issue. He is about to leave on a trip riding the bike from Cali back to Maryland. Yesterday, after I picked him up from the airport and on the drive home, the bike started making an unusual sound. When decelerating, especially in 1st gear, the bike makes a 'rattling/rubbing' metallic sound. The sound becomes less pronounced when decelerating in 2nd and 3rd gears but is still there. The bike only makes this sound when decelerating in gear, no sound when accelerating or when bike is idling. The bike has 84K miles on it, is in excellent condition and has always been maintained at the mfr's specified intervals. Records from previous owner indicate the cam belt/chain was replaced at 65K miles.

Oh, one other mechanical issue has also surfaced yesterday: Whereas the bike always went into reverse easily before, it now requires a lot of effort to pull the reverse handle up and engage it. Could these problems be associated?

I've been riding for over 50 years but have very little experience with G/W's. My first guess would be a cam chain adjustment, just based on the type of sound and where it appears to originate from. Any and all feedback would be most appreciated. TIA
Cheers,
Leonard

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

Hi Leonard, welcome to the forum. A lot of GL1500 tech problems being posted today. If the sounds is coming from the back of the engine and on the right side, it could be the universal joint going bad.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the info. The sound appears to be coming from the front of the engine. I found the onsite instructions for checking/replacing the timing belt. Based on the fact it is a belt and not a chain I no longer think this sound could be made by the belt, as it definitely is a metallic sound. Thanks for the reply.
Cheers,
Leonard

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Place the bike on the center stand and into gear then check for excessive play on the rear wheel/driveline. It could be a bad U joint or splines.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Sit on the bike with the engine running and in nutural hold the front brake and depress and pull out on the front forks and see will it make the same noise let us know the results

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

I for one would like to know why the reverse lever is now hard to operate. Remove the RH side covers and note the reverse shift cables. There is an adjustment.

JD

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

DriverRider wrote:
I for one would like to know why the reverse lever is now hard to operate. Remove the RH side covers and note the reverse shift cables. There is an adjustment.

JD
Thanks much for that, will pass it on[as with all the great replies] to my friend.
Cheers,
Leonard

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

DriverRider wrote:

JD
Thanks much for that, will pass it on[as with all the great replies] to my friend.
Cheers,
Leonard

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

DriverRider wrote:

JD
Cheers,
Leonard

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks to everyone for the input and advice. My friend has taken the bike to the stealer. :-(
All the very best,
Leonard

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.