Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had an accident on my limited edition (columbia blue)2009 wing and the dealer has sold me a new 2010 replacement at his cost...which is great except that the new wing is metallic black and I've grown to love my old wing's shade of blue. I bought the salvage on the old wing (see posting in sale/wanted forum) and am disassembling it now...thinking that I would swap out the plasticside-covers, trunk, and saddle-bags...and than buy/replace the plasticfairing/shelter and front fendor pieces. My question is...would painting over the black plastic be a better way to go?? Will it last and wear well?? The paint is around $200 a quart and I really don't want to waste my time and money if it is not a viable option...has any members reading this post had experience with, or owned, a wing that was/had a completepaint job -- if so than comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

-markta

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

striping off the parts to be painted , than striping every thing off the parts you took off. sanding , priming , sanding , painting , is a pain in the a## . but its a lot cheaper than replacing with the all ready painted ones.
yes the plastic will hold the paint for years an years . i went though this with my 83 in 2006 . still looks good.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

are they really painted or is the color in the gell-coat?? I could take one of the shattered pieces and scrap with a blade to find out how deep the color goes but it is still dark outside.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

markta wrote:
are they really painted or is the color in the gell-coat?? I could take one of the shattered pieces and scrap with a blade to find out how deep the color goes but it is still dark outside.
Gel coat is used for fiberglass and I think you'll find the wing parts are molded ABS which is painted.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

not sure on yours , but mine were a dark black plastic under the paint and primer.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

your right...never noticed when I was pulling off the torn up pieces of the upper fairing (tears flowed like rain) but I just looked and saw that it is paint. Strange...given that the parts are painted front, back, and all edges I always assumed the color went all the way thrugh.

Tried scrapping some paint off using a screw driver and realize just how tough it is...would a professional paint job be as good in your opinion?? The dealer I work with also sell/services boats and their paint shopmainly paints boats...should I find an autobody paint shop or would I get a better off sending the plastic off to a shop that specializes in motorcycles??

-mark

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

well to be turthfull--- you can take your parts to the auto body shop. the repaniting and the total out come will greatly depend on the prep work that is done. but i think you`ll find its not going to be cheap either. so either way you go check out some of there work.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

What might look cool and save a bit of $$ is to have the black fairing fade to the bule color of the rest of the bike.

·
Happy Goldwinger
778 Posts
imported post

markta wrote:
are they really painted or is the color in the gell-coat??.
No gel coat, they are ABS plastic, painted and clearcoated. Look at the back of some of the panels and you will see some overspray.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

That blue is easy to match in a car paint shop. It will be much cheaper than buying new panels. If you haven't yet asked the dealer for parts prices, you better be sitting down when you do. You will be able to get the whole bike sprayed for the cost of just a new fairing.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I found that out...hdlparts put the discounted cost of a complete set of new painted panels at around $9600 dollars. Even subtracting the panels from the old wind that I can reused put the price a over $6000. ColorRite has the paint and suppies at around $1200...so I have pretty much decided to repaint the new wing, and my trailer, as a winter project. Have already bought apaint gun and compresser and am researching the ventilation needed now.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

Sad to say,but in todays world,that is about average $$$$ for a qt.of automotive paint.It uses petro-chemicals,& whenever the cost of gas goes up,so does everything else that uses petroleum products !
:sadguy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.