Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Will a Speedo drive from a GL1000 fit a GL 1100 ?

Ihope because I just bought one off e bay?

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Wow , 10 guys read this and didn't know the answer?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Well, how about some more information... What year and model GL1100? What year GL1000? As you know, lots changed in the GL1000 model years.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I guess 75 and 76 had the "Speedo" on the right side and 78 & 79 had it on the left side as far as I can find out? So 78 &79 would fit a GL 1100.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

I've got a 76 GL1000 with 1979 GL1100 gauges. The drive works from the 76..however as the front whell size changed it is off approx 20%. Bike also has a 3.9 Diff gear so it is a BIT busy...

I was wondering if there was a way to correct the speedo..however if the pickup is on the left then it will run backwards ..??!!

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the reply!

did you mean a 1980 GL1100 ?

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

By the way that's a great looking bike !

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Little confused because the front wheel on the 1000's were 19" wheels same as on the 1100's? Replacement tires for the 1000's are 100/90-19 and 110/90-19 for the 1100 ? Speedo should read the same ?

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

The wheel sizes are the same until the 1982 models. I'm not sure if the speedo drive will fit both, but I got this piece about what parts are swappable between the 1000 & 1100 from the FAQ page;

[align=left]Q. I've been told that some GL1100 parts are the same as those fitted to the GL1000. Is this true and if so how many parts are like this please?[/align]
[align=left]A. Yes, quite a few parts are interchangeable between the GL1100 & GL1000. The GL1200 in comparison uses very few bits from the parts bin. Some of the parts shared between the GL1000 & GL1100 are; Front & rear engine cover gaskets, valves & valve springs (up to 1981), valve seals, rocker cover gaskets & sealing washers, timing belts, timing belt cover gaskets, oil filter & drain plug, clutch springs, exhaust gaskets, ignition switch assembly (1978, serial no. 4104123 & up), starter motor brushes, starter clutch rollers, front & rear wheel bearings, front brake master cylinder & reservoir repair kits (up to 1981), front brake pads (78-81) front brake pads on the 75-77 GL1000 are the same as rear pads on 80-81 GL1100, brake lever 79-81, clutch lever 78-81, rear lamp unit lens 79-83. Heavy duty aftermarket replacement stators will fit either model as well. I've probably omitted plenty of other items, but you get the general idea.[/align]

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Hey Doc,

If you want to meet a great guy in Tucson that loves bikes drop ole Hank a line at

[email protected]

He rides a "RSTD" Royal Star Tour Deluxe!

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

Sorry..didn't see the thread.

I really don't know what year gauges I bought as I got them from an internet sale..delivered from FL. The speedo is off though. When I bought it the fellow said it was a 79--OR?? GL. .however he owns a salvage yard..and not a GL enthusiast..just a parts seller. He was the guy that told me the gear in the two bikes for the spedo were different.

The temp gaugeis NOT in the tach like my '76 stock gauge..and it is black faced if that will identify it.

I order to check it..they had one of those radar speed checks in a construction zone. I noticed it while on my 1800C VTX. I ran through it twice..the speedo was very accurate. 45..and 55 MPH read very close.

I went home, got the GL, as I've always knew their was a error. I went through four times. Each passs yeilded a error of approx 20% low.

The seller had offered to sell me the correct gear for the speedo..but I never got back in touch with him.

Thanks..I'll check some more..

I lie the black gauges..and have run without a temp gauge for 5 years now..IN ARIZONA..but the bike is a cafe and dosen't see very long distance..100 miles is a good ride for it..

I've had this bike since new..and it ain't going away ever...

I'll see if I can meet up with tankerlou ....

Thanks for the help..

I'll Be Back...

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

I could be wrong on this, but I don't think the GL1000 drive has the little stub that the 1100 one has which keeps it in place against the fork leg.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.