Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I Posted about this bike yesterday because I'm considering buying it. He's asking 2500.00 (firm). I looked at it today, and cosmetically the bike is a 7 on a scale of 10. All the painted surfaces looked great, but the chrome around the side bags,and rear trunk had quite a bit of surface rust. My biggest concern is with the electrical system. Specifically, the stator. I took the side cover off over the battery to check all the wires and connections. He stated that the battery had been replaced within the past two weeks,and there were three wires off one side of the battery that looked new and were connected together with standard plug terminals. I didn't notice any burned wires or terminals. Every time I started it it turned over real slow (which I thought was odd), and when the engine was idling the volt meter registered about 13 volts (with no accessories on), and didn't rise when I reved the engine up to about 2000 rpm. The owner said this was because the radiator fan was running. Also, I couldn't get the controls for the auto suspension adjustment to work consistently. Meaning, I had to fiddle with them to get the meter to indicate that air pressure was changing, and I noticed no change in the bikes hight. I also did not hear a compressor running. The rear shocks looked like they might be after market. They didn't say Honda on them. One of the helmet holders on the handle bars had a home brew bracket with a 2 position toggle switch mounted to it. The owner had no idea what it was for, and we couldn't find that it controlled anything. Also, the lower running lights that are supposed to come on when the turn signal is turned on (at least according to the owners manual) didn't work at all. The turn signals worked fine. While the engine was idling, I checked the lights under the rear luggage compartment that are (if I understand things correctly) supposed to identify any problems with the computer, and they were not lit. I didn't check them as the bike was started. So, if that's how you're supposed to do it I did it wrong. The rotors on the front and back looked nice and smooth. However, the grooves on the front ones was full of greasy gunk. Is this an indicator that the shock seals are leaking? While sitting on the bike, I held the front break, and forced the front end up and down. It didn't seem to be weak. I didn't ride the bike because I wanted to ask someone with experience with these bikes their opinion of my observations. Lastly, I did notice that the bike had been either dropped, or banged into something. The clutch lever end ball was broken off, and the front fairing had dings consistent with an encounter with a stop sign, or perhaps a tree that jumped out in front of the rider. It wasn't major, but it wasn't pretty either. I mean, I understand the bike is an '86. The guy had no idea if the timing belts had ever been changed. So, from what I understand, that's a no brainer to change them before riding the bike. Thanks for taking the time to read this, I hope I've been clear, and easy to understand. Your experienced insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Yes the stator should have shown a difference at 2000, not much but some,3000rpm would have shown full output @14v+/-. You could put a poorboy alternator on.
Sounds like fork seals are leaking yes.
Compressor you should hear running.
The lower lights could be blow bulbs or more.
Bag surrounds are aftermarket and do rust, can sometimes be cleaned up w/chrome polish and lots o ElBow grease!
Rear shocks- stock are showia, aftermarket-Progressives
Kinda steep if that needs all that and there aren't current/past receipts. Sounds like he picked it up to make a fast buck, Did you find out how long he has had it and who he got it from to check with them the history?

It can all be fixed but how much do you want to put into it? A running one goes $3500-$4000. for that year. LTD was 1 year only 85. SEI was 86, both had fuel injection.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

sounds like the guy is trying to resell something as some have stated earlier after finding what he bought neededd some repairs,offer him $1800 and walk away happy

added note: ya might want to call him back and ask him to what FORUM he belongs to,if he says what, you have already found out valuable info about him and the bike,

pm sent

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

neoracer wrote:
offer him $1800 and walk away happy
+1

However

If it's the stator, Id offer no more than $1500...... Maybe.

Im always Leary of an owner who doesn't know something, specially something as simple as what a switch is for, I usually walk away at that point.

our voltage issues could just be from the poor connectors they have on the stator wires. Those would need to be taken out and soldered, assuming the stator but out what it's suppose to. Would you be able to take a reading on the 3 yellow wires before you buy it?

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

All that chrome is readily available on sites like this or ebay. My trunk support was rusted-replaced it.
If you live in Indiana why would the radiator fan be running? Did he have the bike running for a long time? I'd suspect that your stator is OK but you likley have connectivity issues on the 3 wires that come out of the stator and go to the regulator. The new connector you see under the battery cover should likely be eliminated and be prepared to replace the regulator. These repairs aren't too bad if you are doing them yourself but don't be surprised if cost goes higher than you budget for.
As for bike being worth $3500 to $4000-ya if it's perfect or almost. Points off for being in an accident minor or not.
Chances are you are looking at fork seals, possibly new brake pads if they are oil-soaked. Mine were rusty but cleaned up for free-I did replace the rubber bushings at top and bottom of shock-cheap and worth doing.
They rear shocks OEM say "Air Suspension" not "Honda"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.