Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am using the Harley-Davidson Road Tech Quest GPS navigation system. It is actually a Garmin, but it says Harley-Davidson on it so they can charge you more for it. :cool:It's an add-on, but with a fairing mount made for my bike. Both the unit and the mount are purchased from Harley-Davidson.

I really like the way it works and the things it can do. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the small screen. The Goldwing 1800 GPS has a much larger screen and better display. I have not had a chance to play with one and I would like to know if it can do afew critical things that I would not want to be without.

The most important is the computer software. My Garmin unit has computer mapping software for my home computer, with which I can sit at my desk and easily create and edit routes and waypoints and then download them (via USB) directly to the unit. It is MUCH easier than trying to work up a route on the unit. I can also, while riding,save my current locationat any time, name it, describe it, and navigate to it later. I can upload these waypoints to the home computer for safekeeping. They can be categorized and arranged in logical groups. I can save and store an unlimited number of routes and waypoints on my home computer and download the ones needed for the part of the country I'm riding in. If I am following a route and I miss a turn, or intentionally do not turn where it tells me to, it will automatically recalculate the route and find me the next best route from where I am. It's really quite an excellent system except for the small screen.

I know very little about the 1800 Goldwing's onboard GPS. I've seen them and I know the display is nice, but I didn't have an opportunity to learn much about them. Could some of you who have them please elaborate a little with some details on what they can and cannot do and how they operate, with specific attention to the things I mentioned above? I will appreciate it.....

Thanx......... Rick

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
654 Posts
imported post

Del Que wrote:
The most important is the computer software. My Garmin unit has computer mapping software for my home computer, with which I can sit at my desk and easily create and edit routes and waypoints and then download them (via USB) directly to the unit. It is MUCH easier than trying to work up a route on the unit. I can also, while riding,save my current locationat any time, name it, describe it, and navigate to it later. I can upload these waypoints to the home computer for safekeeping. They can be categorized and arranged in logical groups. I can save and store an unlimited number of routes and waypoints on my home computer and download the ones needed for the part of the country I'm riding in. If I am following a route and I miss a turn, or intentionally do not turn where it tells me to, it will automatically recalculate the route and find me the next best route from where I am. It's really quite an excellent system except for the small screen.
Rick

The unit on the 1800 is also a Garmin, but it seems tobe a pretty basic unit. Yes, the large display is VERY nice and it also has the ability to save waypoints and name them so you can navigate to them later.

But I have not found a way to program routes from the home computer and take them to the unit on the 1800.

I am NOT a GPS Guru, so maybe someonewill come along and tell us how that is done.

There is a feature on the 1800 unit that is not on the one I use in my car. With no programed route, I can zoom out to a point where the unit will orient itself like a handheld map with North being the top of the map. Then it is much easierto keep up with where I am in relationship to other points on the map. It helps prevent those wrong turns and/or the stops to look at the map tofind out where you are. Not that I've ever had to do that! :cheeky1:

I hope this helps ...

Bob

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
imported post

Both of my GPS units are Garmin, the 2730 and the Nuvi 600.

Both will do what Rick is talking about. From what I know of the 1800 GPS unit, Honda does not allow us to interface a computer to it at all. A real bad miscue in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
imported post

The interface to the navi, as far as I have read so far, is to buy an up-dated card that slides into the gps unit located in the trunk. I purchased my bike about 6 weeks ago, and the card in it right now trys to route me from my house, to some locations, across a bridge and a road that hasn't existed for 10 years. So either I got an old card in my new bike, or they aren't updated on any regular basis.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Both of my GPS units are Garmin, the 2730 and the Nuvi 600.

Both will do what Rick is talking about. From what I know of the 1800 GPS unit, Honda does not allow us to interface a computer to it at all. A real bad miscue in my opinion.
Somewhere on this forum, someone worked out how to use mapsource to update the card.

Do a search on 08 gps etc to find info

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
imported post

I have an 08 Wing with Nav. The software database is very outdated and to replace the card cost $199.00. To my knowledge the existing card can not be updated but I may be wrong. It is an expensive toy for sure and Honda could have done much better for a bike that is not exactly a low cost set of wheels. Ride long and often.

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
imported post

Thanks wilkoi, I just updated my Bookmarks with that info.
Dave's Blog does a pretty good job of explaining how to use
Garmin's navigator program to update the maps.

Too bad though that the OS isn't being updated with "normal" features that we all use on GPS units.

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
imported post

Oops! The server is running slow this morning. I didn't think the click went through and clicked it again. 30 seconds later, both clicks produced a post. :p

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

I know we spent a lot for the gps that came with the bike
But can we go get a newer up date gps that will fit in the dash board

2c
two wheels up

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Thanks wilkoi - that is a very helpful Blog. It will help me learn and use the GPS better - and that's a good thing - thank you.

Regarding this thread's starting post - as a newbie to on board GPS on any of my vehicles - I wanted to make a few observations. I rode about 300 miles yesterday afternoon - took in lunch and supper with my wife as well. I didn't Chart any courses - just turned on the Navi and watched periodoically...

I was surprised at how much road information it did have on the one hand and where it hadan"unverified road" on the other (hence the need for updates). Where I live there has been - since long before I got here - building "booms" - fast track housing springs up everywhere even now in this depressed home market- seems this little piece of paradise is wanted by many. One thing uniquely California however is the ability to be "nowhwere" in minutes - no cell towers in many rural areas, no line of sight if you are in a deep canyon and plenty of wide open spaces - which could be the brink of the ocean - or the desert.

I was surprised therefore when the navi knew the names of roads in rural canyons that are not used all that much - at one point I was on a rural road with ranches all along and "BBBar Ranch" pops up - and it was correct - whoda thunk. I guess to further describe it I use these "Benchmark Maps- Road and Recreation Atlas"specifically because it has the roads where I want to go that mostregular maps do not - the Honda GPS seemed to have a lot of those. At another point however - near my house in the city -I have been traveling a road for over a year and it showed no road and in fact had a banner "unverified road" - this road is now a major thoroughfare from my side of town into the city and has been for some time - how could it not be "verified"? The funniest part was the most rural segment of this road - did show.

All in all I thought the unit was excellent for a variety of reasons:

1)Placement and design. In the dash it sits where it receives minimum glare - including a curved protective "glass" to see it through.The position is properly located just below the other instrumentation so you do not have to look far - and it is easy to see or ignore if need be. The colors (which can be changed from a number of presets to suit the user are superb.The screen is large, bright and easy to see - EVEN IF THE SUN IS DIRECTLY ANGLING INTO YOUR EYES OFF THE UNIT - that was impressive. I ran with the default color scheme and I won't change it except to play with it over time for fun and change of pace. One thing that made me almost fall off the bike laughing was I had just the day before corrected my time zone (it came factory loaded with Eastern US - a 3 hour difference for me) and my ride was to span sunset. The GPS knew to the second when sunset was (as did I since I was riding along the pacific at that point watching it as I rode). I looked down precisely at sunset and the screen flashed "sunset" and changed color mode to "night scheme" (or something like that) and it immediately changed from bright whites, tans and greens to dark blues blacks and greens with roads now white where they had been black during the day. Bottom line - VERY easy see AND non-distracting on the eyes while riding.

2) It is intergated with other systems on the bike, You can press a button and get the outside ambient air temp, press it again and know what preloadyou are riding your shocks at press it again or just leave it and it returns to GPS mode.

3) The screens are selectable to show a variety of functions as well as the map - such as trip meters, the time, etc...

4) Controls are easily reached. It has one set of controls on the cowling by the knee - which is where you punch it on at start-up if you want it running. There is a set of key controls integrated into the left handlebar control where you can zoom in and whatnot - so easy even a first timer like me could do it - oh and these handlebar controls (the lettering) are lit at night like the rest of the handlebar contrils in soft white so you can see them.

5) Having not plugged in a course yet (I might try it today or on my way to work tomorrow) I have not used the "talking" part that plays through the speakers yet - but I Imagine it like my Mom or Dad's cars where it says "Turn right in 1 mile..." type of thing. I would use this on one of my 3,000 mile vacations with my wife where neither of us were sure of portions of the route - it can be turned on and off while in flight - and the GPS screen tells you if it is on or not.

6) We were in a lot of wide open spaces but also ran a lot of deep canyons and oak treed under cover of shade backroads. Only a few brief blinks of "acquiring sattelite" were seen - it seems to get very good reception.

I was also told by my dealer (might be incorrect information based on what I'm reading above) that annual updates to my GPS will cost $100 (as opposed to the $199) - I guess I'll have to wait and see. Even with the "unverified roads" the number of out of the way "verified" ones impressed me so that my thoughts are that a rider could do some pretty fantastic exploring and manage his way back. That is all I need.

A lot of this is probably basic to all you pros - but the overall impression I got was one of pretty darned good integration geared towards riding motorcycles. And with thoughts of navigating and not distracting the rider. Content seemed beyond sufficient and updateable over time. Knowing Honda, the "versions" won't be trailing for long. JMHOs.

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
imported post

I don't think you will be seeing too many "versions" available from Honda to upgrade the GPS.

The unverified roads though depend on the maps vendor (forget who it is right now) to acquire new info and get it into their master database. You can update the maps themselves though if you follow David's Blog link using City Navigator from Garmin.

I don't know what their requirements are for accepting new mapping info, but an acquaintance of mine lives up in Flagstaff, Arizona. The "new addition" residential area he lives in is almost 8 years old now, some parts of it more than that. Very little of it is in the maps database even today.

To put that into perspective, he took the time to walk the complete area making notations as to street names, etc... and then sent in the tracking info from his Garmin 2730 to the mapping vendor. They totally ignored him. No acknowledgement, nothing. No updated maps either as he proved by purchasing the newer upgraded versions.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Huh - regarding versions - isn't that what I read in the blog that wilkoi posted that they were a little behind on the base base software and that each map update installed a onetime system software update file (the versions)and newer maps that reduced the unverified roads?

I was also told directly that this will be available to be updated annually.

What did I miss? :baffled:

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
imported post

Reading the above and other sites on the internet, it sounds like you would be pretty safe sticking with the little Garmins, Tomtoms or whatever that you can buy at the electronic stores. Updates are regular, and frankly, they are cheap enough that it you don't like it you can get a different one. I think I would avoid one that is built in much as I would avoid buying a desktop computer/screen combo or other such items.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

I cannot take credit for what follows here, but found it on another site posted by Rainman. I have updated the FIRMWARE in my2006, but have not done the maps.The update takes away the annoying Unverified Road message every 20 seconds over the audio.

How to update your NAVI GPS.

First - there are two different things that need updating. One is referred to as the FIRMWARE which is really just the GPS unit itself. It has internal computer code which contains instructions for the GPS itself.

As of Sept 1, 2008, the latest firmware version is 4.31

Second - The Map set. This is something that can be obtained several different ways. The first is the way Garmin and Honda want you to do it and that is buy a new CF (Compact Flash) card from them that has the map sets on it. They want $199 to do this.

The cheaper way is buy the full version of City Navigator, install it on your PC and upload it to the card yourself. I bought mine from PCMall for about $105, but you may find it cheaper. Make SURE you don't get the "NT" version as it won't work on the NAVI.

As of December 12, 2007, the latest version of City Navigator is 2008 (otherwise known as Version 9 under Garmin's old version numbering system) It's MFG part # is 010-10474-00

Ok...now that you know what you need - here's how you do it. First, you don't NEED to buy any other CF cards. You can do it with what you already have from Garmin. All you need is a way to read it into your PC. My advice: Back up the old files and just use the existing card. It's cheaper that way.

INSTALLING THE FIRMWARE UPDATE:

Step 1. Download the firmware file from http://wikisend.com/download/959836 It's not locked and can be freely shared among as many people as you like. The file is called gupdate.gcd The file is a little over 3 megs so it's easily e-mailed around. Someone else said they borrowed one out of a 2008 GL at the dealership to get the file with the dealers permission. Don't bother asking Garmin...they just tell you to go buy the $199 CF card.

Step 2. BACK UP YOUR CARD or use a new one. Simply copy the files you have on your CF card to your hard drive and remember to put them in a \GARMIN folder so if something goes wrong, you can easily restore them.

Step 3. Copy the gupdate.gcd to your CF Card If there already is a file like that, overwrite it. Your card should have 3 files on it in total.

Step 4. BEFORE you put the card back in the GPS, power up the bike (acessory is fine) and don't press the ENTER button when prompted by the GPS. NOW go around to the trunk and stick the CF card in. Now then...be patient. When you put the card in, the GPS will set there for a little while with just the default Navigation logo screen. It looks like it's not doing anything, but be patient...don't turn the key off. It will eventually read the card and pull the update file into the GPS unit. A small black box at the bottom of the screen will eventually load and show you what's going on. When it's done, the GPS will reboot itself. You can check and make sure that the version number under System info is 4.31

Step 5. You are now updated and ready to go.

As I stated above, I have not updated my maps, so cannot verify the following:

INSTALLING THE NEW MAP SETS

Step 1. This is fairly easy if you've bought the full version of City Navigator. Just simply install the Program to your computer and redeem the unlock code with Garmin. You'll need the serial number off the GPS unit itself to this. To find the serial number, remove the CF card to prevent damage, unscrew the GPS out of the trunk and then remove the metal case from the plastic cover. There will be a sticker on the metal case with the unit serial number. Jot this down as you'll need to enter this serial number when prompted by Garmin to unlock maps.

Step 2. Assuming you've now unlocked the map set and can see all the little detail roads, you need to select the "Map Tool" icon (the one that looks like a square PACMAN and then start in one corner and select all the different sections of North America. Next, make sure your BACKED UP cf card is in your computer and click Transfer - Send to device. This will bring up the send to device box in which you want to make sure "Maps" is checked. It won't allow you upload routes or anything else so don't bother trying. Click send and go get yourself some dinner as this is going to take a while. First it builds the map sets and then it uploads them to the car. It's not uncommon for this to take an hour or more. Be patient.

Step 3. Once it's finished uploading all the data to the card, simply put the card back in the GPS and you should have the latest version.

I have only posted this to help out my fellow wingers, and do not want to get into a debate over whether one sould or should not short cut Honda or Garmin by buying their official updates.

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
imported post

A note to any of you that might be needing that file. It has a "Time to Live" of 45 days. So go grab it now.

If you didn't, I did and can be PM'd for it later.

To Chris G., many thanks for a good service you have done here. I will soon hopefully own a gl1800. Maybe it will have the Navi, maybe it won't. But prearmed sure as heck is better than being without. :)

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
imported post

For anyone who has updated the map using the above instructions Chris G has given, were there any noticeable differences in the GPS functions other than new roads and the such?

I read on the ad that these are the things it can do...

• Trip and waypoint management functions
  • Full detailed coverage for U.S, Canada and Puerto Rico.
  • Detailed maps containing highways, interstates, and business and residential streets, with turn restrictions, speed categories, and other navigation features.
  • Over 8 Million Miles of road coverage.
  • Over 6 million points of interest such as: food and drink, lodging, attractions, entertainment, shopping, emergency services, post offices, camp grounds, movie theaters and more.
  • Software that automatically creates point-to-point routes in MapSource on the GPS V, GPSMAP 196, iQue 3200/3600, iQue M3/M5, Garmin Quest, Streetpilot 2610, Streetpilot i2/i3, Streetpilot c320, GPSMAP 60C , GPSMAP 60CS, GPSMAP 76C, GPSMAP 76CS and GPSMAP 276C.
Trip and waypoint management is my key interest. Otherwise, the price is right.:clapper:

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Great job with that info Chris G. It is good to know that Honda - or Garmin - or the owners will keep them updated one way or another. I used your info to check that mine had the latest version running 4.31.

Thanks again for the extra effort in finding the info!! :clapper:

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

Glad to help out. The Firmware update has fixed my biggest beef with the unit - the unverified road message.

Chris

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.