Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

77 GL1000

Can the head be machined? If so is there anything you have to watch for as far as clearance of everything after its machined and how much can be machined off?

do you have to use new head bolts like you do with cars?

I thinkI remember seeing that putting a shim behind the breaker point plate helps or something, im not sure?

from what I see useing OEM gaskets is the way to go so thats the way I'll go.

what other things should I replace or check while the heads are off?

so far that is all I can think of, if I have any more questions I'll be sure to ask

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

The head can be skimmed. The maximum thickness amount that can be skimmed off is usually around 0.5mm.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

07Silver wrote:
The head can be skimmed. The maximum thickness amount that can be skimmed off is usually around 0.5mm.
It depends what cams you are running. 75-77 cams have a higher lift so the above is probably about right. The later cams have less so you can get away with more. I know of heads that have had 0.030" taken off with out problems.

There is no recommendation in the Honda manuals to renew the head bolts but I would err on the side of caution and only re-use them once. Make sure you grease them including under the flange when replacing them or your torque figures will be way out.

I've used Athena aftermarket gaskets without any problems.

Remove the valves, clean them and lap them in with fine lapping paste. Do NOT have them refaced. They have a thin coating of Stellite in the faces which grinding will remove.

Check your valve spring lengths against spec.
Renew your valve stem seals. Aftermarket Viton ones are best. Find them on eBay.

Renew the camshaft seals.

Check the rocker shafts are per my tech tip here:
http://www.wingovations.com/#/rocker-spindle-fix/4540064325

Other head tips here:
http://www.wingovations.com/#/cams-and-rockers/4540064349

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.