Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Everyone,

I hope the Holiday season was good to everyone and everyone is safe and happy. I wish the best to everyone here for a safe and happy new year as well.

[align=center]:toast:

One of the gifts I have received from Mrs. Clause this year was a Torque Wrench. A wonderful, quality, heavy duty 3/8" drive one. It is rated as 30 - 250 inch-pounds (3.4 - 28.2 Nm).

I am use to seeing things in Foot-Pounds and not Inch-Pounds.

Question: I this the right range to be working on my 82 Aspencade? I don't know how to convert to the inch to foot. I'll bet in is not as easy as dividing by 12! hahaha[/align]
[align=center]:baffled:

Can anyone help??

Tim.
[/align]

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

Converting inch pound to foot pound involves a calculator. Better off getting a foot pound torque wrench for mistake free hassle. I have eight types of torque wrenches here and always use the correct one for the application. The Honda bike is in ft lbs. One mistake in your calculations could spell disaster in stripped or broken bolts/fasteners.:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi,

I thought I might be returning this to Canadian Tire. It was a wonderful try from Mrs. Clause. A tool I do want but wrong grading. The gift wasa total surprise for me. Something for the new garage I will start in the spring.

Would anyone have any recommendations of the range of Foot Pounds that would be needed to work on my bike? Any likes or dislikes

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I use 2 a 3/8 drive 25 to 250 inch and a 1/2 drive 25 -225 foot. The inch lb one does probably 60% of my work on bikes. Converting is easy. 12 inch lbs is 1 foot lb. So if spec is 20 foot lbs then it is 240 inch lbs.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I hope the Holiday season was good to everyone and everyone is safe and happy. I wish the best to everyone here for a safe and happy new year as well.

[align=center]:toast:

One of the gifts I have received from Mrs. Clause this year was a Torque Wrench. A wonderful, quality, heavy duty 3/8" drive one. It is rated as 30 - 250 inch-pounds (3.4 - 28.2 Nm).

I am use to seeing things in Foot-Pounds and not Inch-Pounds.

Question: I this the right range to be working on my 82 Aspencade? I don't know how to convert to the inch to foot. I'll bet in is not as easy as dividing by 12! hahaha[/align]

[align=center]:baffled:

Can anyone help??

Tim.
[/align]
HERE is a handy little converter. You will find that there are many places on the bike where your present torque wrench will be inadequate. You simply need a ft lb/nm wrench for some things.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Or....

You could just remember that 12 inch/lb. = 1 foot/lb.

So, simple math is that with your inch/lb. torque wrench, 25 foot/lb is 300 inch/lb.

Multiply the ft/lb called for in the manual by 12 (12" = 1 foot) to find the in/lb setting for your torque wrench.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hi,

O.K. - It's a given. I am taking it back. That I do know. I will simply put it towards a foot pound one.The question remains...

What range should I be looking for in Foot Pounds that would be best suited for this bike?? IE: cover the most ranges that is needed to do "everyday work".

Thanks,

Tim.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

YIKES!!!!

Sorry about the stuttering there!!! Not sure what happened!!!

Tim.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I have a 3/8" drive one by Snap-on that does 5-85 ft/lbs. I havent had to use it on my wing yet, but I completely did a small block Chevrolet motor earlier this year. I'd recommend something in that range, but an inch pound comes in real handy for some small engine stuff, so it depends on what you are using it for mostly. Someone will surely pipe in for what torque settings your bike requires (for the most part) and snag one for that if you dont think you'll use it for anything else.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

you should be able to print this off for future reference

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Should have hinted to Mrs. Claus to get you one that shows both.....Sears makes a nice one.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

For most work on most motorcycles including the Honda bikes , keep your new inch pound torque wrench. It can be used for a lot of the lower needed torque values, you just divide by 12. then you have it for very low torque needs.

But over all you need a torque wrench from as low as you can find, say 10 or 20 ft pounds to about 100 or 110. That will serve you well. A half inch drive one is good for wheel lug nuts, axle nuts, pinch bolts and so on.

Harbor freight has some decent torque wrenches that I think, pretty sure I gave less than 20 bucks for. Bought an air impact wrench the same day, it died the second use, but they gave me another one, and it has held up well.

Kit

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Hi,

Actually, Mrs. Clause is an awesome Mrs!

She went out and got me one with no hinting from me at all. It was a total surprise. She knew that we are going to build a garage in the spring and that I wanted to start to rebuild a few bikes and she went out on her own and asked around about a good tool. She then seen one on sale at Canadian Tire and bought it.

I am a lucky man. We work well together, she loves to ride, she's cooks like there is no tomorrow, she is just as kinky as I am... AND SHE BUYS ME TOOLS!!! hahaha. She trulywas the woman of my dreams right from day one!!

I think Kit is right. I might as well wait till they come on sale again and pick up another. At least I know what Foot-Pound range to get. Thanks Kit, that was the info I was needing.

Another successful thread!

Have a great, fun and Safe New Years Eve and the best to all of you guys out there for 2009. Stay safe and think prosperity!

Tim, Christine and Family.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:
I am a lucky man. We work well together, she loves to ride, she's cooks like there is no tomorrow, she is just as kinky as I am... AND SHE BUYS ME TOOLS!!! hahaha. She trulywas the woman of my dreams right from day one!!

Tim,

:goofygrin:Sounds like you & I have two of a kind...my wife is the same way !

Wish I had found her 30 yrs earlier...I'd have been a better man then,as I am today. :clapper:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.