Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good Morning Everybody

Hope everybody had a great Valentine's Day.

I have afew questions. I mentioned in an earlier post that my 98' GL 1500 trike was only getting 28 mpg...and I could smell gas while idling so I thought it was just running rich. From reading the posts here on the forum I think it is the fuel shutoff valve(petcock valve I think it's called).

Some have told me that 28 mpg is all I will ever get while others say I should be able to get mid 30's. I had it set up for a guy to rebuild my fuel shutoff valve this past weekend but the parts didn't come in.

I was reading the other night where some bypassed the fuel shutoff valve completely by inserting a connector between the two hoses.

I would like to try this before having the thing rebuilt to see if the mileage would improve and if the gas smell stops. The trike runs smooth as silk and I don't want to change that but I would love to improve the mileage if anyway possible.

By bypassing the fuel shutoff valve:

(1) Will this damage the bike in any way?

(2) Do I need to plug the connections on the fuel shutoff valve after disconnecting the hoses?

(3) I think I read where the valve has a vacumn line going to it? What do I need to do about it?

(4) Once I have the hoses connected is there anything I should do different or be aware of?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

David

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
imported post

bypassing the fuel shut off will not improve milage and may cause the carbs to over flow gas with the motor off without a shutoff valve

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

detdrbuzzard wrote:
bypassing the fuel shut off will not improve milage and may cause the carbs to over flow gas with the motor off without a shutoff valve
i`m in agreement on that. for what its worth .

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
imported post

Bypassing safety features is a risky business!!!
Mother honda put that valve on the bike for a reason--otherwise they would save a hunk of change by not doing it..

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Ok guys...you've convinced me....it was only going to betemporary to see if that was what was causing my poor gas mileage before spending the money to have the valve rebuilt.

I appreciate your input. Thanks

David

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

A while back-I breifly mentioned a electric fuel valve-solinoid operated-Ebay #260083249218 I have these on my old tractor because the schebler carb back in the day was prone to leak.I would get off it tired after a long day and forget to shut off the fuel. So I put this valve on it no more problems.(The leak sometimes within a couple months after an over haul).I plan to put one on my bike soon (lets call it a sinility bypass device):action: It draws mimnimal power and I just wire it in to the ign switch.It shuts the fuel off when I shut the engine off.

http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38.l1313%26_nkw%3D260083249218%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&item=260083249218&viewitem=

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

If this were me I would, get the bike tuned up which may include a carb overhaul. You may have a float level set too high causing it to flood over.You shouldn't smell unburned gas while idling, if the tuneup didn't cure that issue and milage is still down ,take it somewhere they dyno bikes and use an air fuel ratio meter to set the carbs up. When thats done the milage should come up a bit and the motors usually run better power wise.my 2 devalued cents.,,

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

Hey Big C, what your proposeing is ,,,,,,, he spend hundreds of dollors.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

He didn't say he wanted to cure his problem for free.Sometimes you gotta open the vault and pay to get it fixed right, if you can't do it yourself. I had my Harley set up on a dyno and thou it cost a few peso's, the end result was worth it.He may just need a good tune up so the other stuff would be if the tuneup didn't help the siyuation.,,

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hey guys

I appreciate all comments which are helpful. That was my intention to try and find out if and how I could get better gas mileage. Of course, being human, I would prefer a no-expense fix but in the end may have to spend some bucks to get it right.

The parts for the fuel shutoff valve are suppose to be in this week and I'll probaby leave the bike with them Friday and they said they would check it out and let me know what they think.

Thanks for all of your input.

David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.