Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

questions on installing an 1100 motor in a 1976 wing..

1K views 38 replies 9 participants last post by  DaveO430 
#1 ·
hi everyone.. i'm XX man.. i have just joined your group...like most newbys, i have a question... i am hoping to get a heads-up on my latest project... that being... installing an "81" 1100 motor in my 1976 wing.. i hear, there is a frame mod. that is necessary.. i have a complete "81" donor bike... thanks ...

#2 ·
Hi XX and welcome to the forum. I don't have enough familiarity with the '76 any more to be any help here but there are many on the forum that will be happy to lend a hand. There is another forum that may be of help also, pull up: www.ngw.com there are a lot of interesting builds on there also.

#3 ·
No frame mods needed. But the ignition systems are different. The 76 uses points, while the 81 uses capacitive discharge.

But it can and definitely has been done.

#4 ·
my 1000 motor for a 1100 in my "76"

thanks for the reply.. i have a dyna electronic installed in the 76 now.. someone said a cross member had to be moved, to allow room for the install of the 1100's coils, or something... my biggest concern was the engine mounts, and drive shaft spline..i plan on using the 1100 ign. parts.. unless there are other options..??? what fun!... my engine swap will not be for a month or so.. i just wanted to do all that would be needed to the 76, while the old motor was out... any more advice?.... thanks.... XX man ....

#5 ·
#6 ·
The ignition pulse generator/ advance unit on the back of the 1100 engine will apparently interfere with the frame crossmember just above the front of the swing arm. Should be no problem to just cut it out. Otherwise it will bolt in just like the 1000 engine.

#7 ·
installing an 1100 motor in a 76 wing..

someone had mentioned a cross member before.. now i know what it was all about.. it certainly would have to be done with an empty frame... thats all great news!... love this forum.. you guys are great!........... XX man .....

#10 ·
There are many who have done it. Improves take offs immensely with the lower first gear of the 1100. Lose a little mpg from the lower rear gear of the 1000. Around town should be a better ride. You will have to match the drive shafts from the 1000. I think the Bgirl referenced swapping the ouput shaft of the two motors. If you didn't see it, it's a shaft that sits in the rear cover of the motor. Simple swap and then you can use the 1000 drive shaft. Do it before you put it in the frame and it's easy. you need a rear cover gasket, or make one like Steve did. If you like it, check joedrum's mods. He took the 1000 cams and swapped them into the 1100 heads. They had more lift in the intake and flow more at upper rpm like the 1000's. If you do it right you can use the 1000 ignition to control it and leave the 1100 for backup.

#11 ·
"76" engine swap..

it was my understanding, the 1100's spline has the slot for the snap ring, so i was planning to leave that alone... my plan was to cut, and remove the cross member located right above the swing arm, to allow me to use the 1100's ign. system.. i would like to stay away from swapping heads... is the taller gearing determined in the trans, or in the 3rd member.. it was my assumption the 1000's had the taller gearing, then the early 1100's changed it.. then, like in the "83's", they went back to the taller gears... you know.. the ol' 140 mph speedo's then the 85 mph speedo's then back to the 140's in the "83 models.... to be honest, i am basing my frame mod on an earlier thread.. i haven't looked at my two bikes yet..(too rainy).. i know.. what a sissy... ha ha................... XX man ......

#13 ·
my understanding is a couple well placed hammer blows will relocate the offending cross brace and not weaken the structure like removing the brace will. While the heads are milled differently, people here say that the gl1000 ignition housing fits 1100 heads anyway. You want the gl1000 cams for sure.

#14 ·
76 engine swap..

relying on an old man's memory (mine).. i am pretty sure the 1100's have the slot in the spline for the snap ring.. i have read a lot of threads about using 1000 cams in a 1200 motor.. it sounds like the big advantage to the 1000 cams, is higher lift.. the valves might hit the heads of the pistons.. after reading about all of the lengthly "puddy studies".. it worries me!.. it's true the guys were testing 1000 heads on a 1200 motor, but it seems mr. honda would only relieve the heads of the pistons enough for their stock 1100 cams (in my case).. to clear their stock 1100 cams and valves.... you boys have a lot more ambition than i have... can any of you tell me, what would be wrong with me giving some clearance on that cross member (either hammer it in some, or cut it out),then utilize the 1100's ign. system, probably with the 1100 coils ,ignitor box?,and a bit of wiring to put it all together.. i have shop manuals for wiring diagrams..... famous last words... "what could possibly go wrong".. thanks............... XX man .....

#15 ·
.......... can any of you tell me, what would be wrong with me giving some clearance on that cross member (either hammer it in some, or cut it out),then utilize the 1100's ign. system, probably with the 1100 coils ,ignitor box?,and a bit of wiring to put it all together.. .....
I think I might try to relocate the cross member with a hammer if it doesn't need much or cut it out and move it. Doubtful it would be missed if it were gone altogether. (bet I get some feedback on that)
Not a thing wrong with that, it is exactly what I would do. Why use a points ignition when you can have a bullet proof electronic set up?

#16 ·
76 engine swap..

well i must confess.. the 1000 motor has a dyna electronic ign. ..i had installed it, but now my plans are to remove it, and put it in a "75" i will be buying very soon... it is comforting to have someone agree with my "master plan"... there was a thread, stating i should just cut out that cross member... we will see...i have one early pic of the 76, in my photo gallery.. it was sour motor #1.. it smoked like crazy, but quite understandable considering all of the oil i squirted onto the intake valves, and down the spark plug hole... i now have sour motor #2 in the bike.. this #2 has some bad bearing noises.. sooo i am fresh out of 1000 motors, but i have two 1100 donor bikes, with motors... that is the reason for my researching the 1100 motor swap.. all of you guys have really been helpful.. i will add a current pic or two of the "76" into my photo gallery, so you can see my project.. it looks much better now!.............. XX man ......

#17 ·
76 engine swap..

i don't know what happened.. i tried to add some pics to my album, and now they are all gone.. i can't seem to get them to take.. i have placed about 6 pics in there.. now none..?? maybe i will try tomorrow............................. XX man ......

#18 ·
I dont know why you couldnt unwrap an 1100 wiring harness, seperate the CDI wiring, loom it up and install it alongside the OEM GL1000 loom, using the GL1100 coils. And I cant wait to get the GL1000 cams put into all my 1100s.
I have the Weber 2bbl, and vance and hines exhaust, the higher lift and loger duration should make that thing a monster.

#19 ·
76 engine swap..

has anyone installed 1000 cams into an 1100 motor, without having to modify piston heads for clearance etc.. just a plain "put the cams in", and fire it up?.. normally, with higher performance, comes trade-offs.. any negatives to this cam mod?.... stripping the wiring harness off of the 1100 bike, then switching the needed wiring over to the "76", sounds like a good plan.. you guys sure like to experiment! it's nice to get all of these different views and mods.... i'll attempt to put some pics back in my album........ XX man ......

#25 ·
has anyone installed 1000 cams into an 1100 motor, without having to modify piston heads for clearance etc.. just a plain "put the cams in", and fire it up?.. normally, with higher performance, comes trade-offs.. any negatives to this cam mod?.... stripping the wiring harness off of the 1100 bike, then switching the needed wiring over to the "76", sounds like a good plan.. you guys sure like to experiment! it's nice to get all of these different views and mods.... i'll attempt to put some pics back in my album........ XX man ......

According to what I have read you just bolt the cams in and go. According to the info I have (in clymer manual so it may be wrong) they both have the same overlap so valve clearance should be a non issue.

#21 ·
76 wing..

thanks, larry... i have had quite a number of them.. kind of a hobby, bringing them back to life... i see you have a 1500.. i had 2 of them.. a 1988 and a 1992.. they always gave me the feeling, i could just hit the road, and live out of the trunk.. i like to sleep in my own bed though, so i may have missed out on many adventures... here in ventura, ca. i have the ability to ride mountain roads alot.. the bigger wings are just alittle mushy for those roads.. i usually stiffen-up the naked ones..i have 2 cbr 1100xx blackbirds also.. they are rocket ships!.. the trouble is.. you can't ride very far without them killing your butt.... i have an iphone 4s , and have taken some nice videos, while riding.. they show the cool mountain roads i play on.. i guess it isn't cool to send a link to them.. i publish them on you tube.... anyway, thanks ................... XX man ......

#22 ·
On removing the crossmember. It's there for a reason. Without it the rear end has too much flex and handling will suffer. Honda wouldn't have wasted th ematerial to put it there if it wasn't integral to the bike.

#23 ·
76 engine swap..

very good point... in fast sweeping turns, those wings have the tendancy to "hula"...(frame flex).. those have always been my suspicions, anyway... i will try the hammer approach if i just need to gain a small amount of clearance.... it may be hard to know, how much i need till i start to fit the 1100 motor.. it sounds like i may be attempting to install.. then remove.. then another install attempt.. if anyone knows how much that cross member has to be moved, it would be a big help....................................... XX man .......

#24 ·
It may not even need to be moved. SuperSkyPiolot stuffed a 1200 into a 1000 frame.

#26 ·
XX man, I don't think anyone would mind if you put up a link to one of your videos. Or maybe give us the name of the video so we could search for it.
If you don't feel comfortable posting the link, how about sending me a PM with the link? I'd like to take a look at your playground.
Thanks

#27 ·
skypilot removed the vacuum/ign. unit to clear the frame.. i want to use mine... it is good to have options... i'm still thinking about 1000 cams in my 1100 heads.. then i could use the dyna ign. that would mount on the left head.. i'm torn though.. i'm picking up a 75 goldwing project bike.. i want to use the dyna in that one... lots of irons in the fire.. i have my 1100 interstate i'm restoring right now.. i haven't really even mentioned that project.. i just said it would be about a month before i could do the 76 motor swap..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.