Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Got all my manuals out but can't find a answer how does the gas tank come out. I know it has to slide back do I also have to take the right side engine mount off. I got the bolt off the back and small one off the lower front but it's not moving. Rear wheel and fenders are off and I can lift up the fake tank. I can't see anything holding it. Help

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

Dude you have to remove the rear mastercylinder and the Tire this will allow the swing arm to drop down. You must also remove the Battery box.. then you can slide the Tank backwards watching wires and other things that try to get in the way.. I should slide all the way out the back...

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Every thing you mentioned is off battery box, wheels, fenders and master cylinder every thing. Are there some bolts I'm not seeing. BTW this bike has been out of service quite a bit of time.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Ok took a big screw driver and pryied it out of the front mount. Thanks

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Now did you remove the diffential or can it be moved out the way.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
imported post

no such thing as a quick tank removal. on a goldwing:headbanger:

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I ended up removing the rear drive, now I know what you folks mean by about having a baby gas tank.

But a had to take most of the parts off anyway to cleanup or rebuild them.

Thanks again you guys are great.:bowing:

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

OK another question about rebuilding this bike. Should I bother looking at the clutch since I have most of the back of the bike apart.

The bike has not been on the street since 1979 and only has 7290 miles.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
imported post

lol you gave me a good laugh quick gas tank removal ha ha ha :dude:what victour said is accurate.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
imported post

If it was mine I'd try the clutch first. All I've seen freed right up after sitting.
check Randak's tips on starting up an old wing.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Thats truely amazing a bike that has sat for 30 yrs and it will still run again Wow.

Wilf

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Actually I got it running last fall, I had to completely rebuild the engine I found a spun bearing and had to hone the cylinders they were pretty dirty. I still have a sight carb problem one the the float tower on a carb broke, but I know how to get that fixed thanks to all these great post here.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

got 1981 goldwing new starter new battery ford solnoid not really sure how to wire it got it running runs pretty good very suprisedput seafoam in tank and oil ran for about 50 miles run tank till reserve shut down drain oil figured i would taketank off toflush is it is ittrue u have to remove rear tire to get tank off need new tire anyway what a pain also noticed that the spark units where linking oki mps-200 is this going to be a problem seams like they are very expensive bike runs good like to restore it a little at a time got new timing belt gates t274 at orielys for 18.00 bucks priced matched bikes got 80,000 mile on it just broke in somebody said like to go for a nice ride but dont want to break down

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

Wow, that's quite a sentence with no punctuation! If I can, I might try to answer some of the questions.

The gas tank is a pain to get out, you have to remove the tire and battery box and lower the swingarm. there is only 1 bolt on the top and the front is wedged in to a holder. You have to push and pull quite a bit to get it to come out the back.

The spark units do leak the epoxy out. If they still work, you can and should get new 2 part epoxy and fill them back up. If you don't it is very likely they will overheat and fail. You would then need to get another pair from a bike salvage place or ebay...

The timing belts are one of the first replacement items suggested. Good job on that!

Welcome to the forum! You should really try to start a new topic instead of replying to an older one like this. Makes it easier to find. This is one of the most fun and informative sites I've found!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.