Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Hi Dennis, if you mean the "boot comp", then 43504-MB2-006....I will admit to getting the complete kits for mine..(K & L) if this is wrong part number let me know and I'll look into it..
Cheers,
Peter.

Sorry dennis I had assumed rear brake cyl for some reason, that was no help to you whatsoever..!!

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
'87 Interstate.
I can't bring up the fiche, but which seal is needed if the slave is leaking?
There are two showing on the fiche. Numbers 13 & 14.
Although you don't say I take this is the clutch slave cylinder.

And again you don't say what is leaking.
If it's oil you need seal #13.
If it's hydraulic fluid you need cup #8.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Dennis,
I looked at the fiche and I think you need #14. It seal the fluid in the master. Part #13 is to keep fluid OUT of the engine in the event of a slave cylinder leak. Just like the weep hole on the water pump. If you zoom in enough you can see the weep hole right next to the bottom bolt.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Thanks, Redwing. I suspect you're right.
Actually Redwing is incorrect.
Seal #14 is there to keep grease in and moisture out of the interface between the piston and push rod.
If you're leaking hydraulic (brake) fluid you need piston cup #8
Bike...and Dennis said:
Ken, are there other slave cylinders on the 12?
Only six others that I can think of off the top of my head.:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Dennis,
I'm sorry for the wrong info. Ken is abolutely right. Some single acting cylinders don't use the cup. (#8) I would replace at least #8 and #13 if not all 3. (#8 #13 #14) Hope I didn't cause you any headaches. :sadguy:

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I've done the clutch slave cylinder on my 1200's(when I had them) and the 1500 and I just used an aftermarket kit that I got from my dealer.Came with everything needed and never had any problems with them.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, here's evidence of how punctual I am.
I opened up the cylinder and looked at the cup, and it looks good. The #14 seal is definitely tweaked. However, looking at the unit, it looks like that seal wouldn't cause a leak because there's no fluid there.
It looks like that seal was damaged by the certified Honda mechanic who did the stator replacement. Am I safe to guess then, that the seal in the motor is probably also tweaked and needs replaced?
Here's a pic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Well, here's evidence of how punctual I am.
I opened up the cylinder and looked at the cup, and it looks good. The #14 seal is definitely tweaked. However, looking at the unit, it looks like that seal wouldn't cause a leak because there's no fluid there.
It looks like that seal was damaged by the certified Honda mechanic who did the stator replacement. Am I safe to guess then, that the seal in the motor is probably also tweaked and needs replaced?
Here's a pic.
The engine seal is located in the clutch COVER. Since it doesn't need to be removed to replace the stator, it should be alright. Of course, I didn't remove the stator, so I have no idea what was done.
Bottom line Dennis, replace the seal on the cup if you're leaking clutch fluid. The number 14 seal will not cause a leak, and if there was a bad seal on the engine side, there would be engine oil in the clutch slave cavity.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
If I'm remembering correctly, the clutch push rod is tapered and can be installed backwards...causing an oil leak. It's been years, but I think I worked on one that had been inadvertantly installed wrong during a stator replace.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I got a mirror in there and looked. The seal looks like it's leaking a little. On the inner piston seal, that missing piece of rubber is folded inside, causing the pin to sit unevenly and I'd guess, put more wear on the engine seal.

The big question is...how does one replace that seal? I'd hate to have to pull the motor for this.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
It will just pry out the back towards the slave cyl, use a hook dental pic or a screw into the old one and pull out w/pliers and then pop in the new one. There was a post the other day on a 1500 the same way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.