Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Sorry for dumb questions. First GW & doing oil change before manual arrives. Only have iPhone for Internet access. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
imported post

Is there a drain plug washer?

·
Administrator
27,931 Posts
imported post

Yes there is a drain plug washer, get one from a Honda motorcycle or car dealer.
Not sure on 1200 but it holds about 3.5 quarts of oil.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,332 Posts
imported post

Hi Papaw, welcome to the forum.

As Dave stated, there is supposed to bewasher on the drain plug. It is what is called a "crush washer" and is designed to flatten out and conform the the sealing surface. That's why he suggested a dealer for the part.

As for quantity, if it's your GL12, I think my book recommends 3.7 U.S. quarts if you change the filter. And I do hope you are changing the filter.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Thanks, apparently someone had removed it before I got the bike. I'll have to leave it till tomorrow and finish up. Bummer! Thx again

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Dump in three an half quarts, crank the engine with the kill switch off until the oil pressure light goes off and then add oil to bring the level up between the marks on the dipstick. Just be sure the oil you use doesn't say "energy conserving" or "friction reducing" on the API donut symbol on the bottle. I always use DELO 400 15W40 on my bikes. Good heavy base oil which is designed for diesels so it's more resistance to viscosity breakdown. I like to change oil at 4000-5000 mile intervals which is a bit more often than Honda's recommendation of 8000 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.